13

Nkechi chewed on the flavoursome meat as the women flocked around her like headless birds. Their hands moved rapidly as they crafted her last-minute ceremonial gown. She would have found the scene comical if the reason behind it wasn't so daunting.

She would be married within the next few hours to a man that she had very little knowledge on.

Nlechi felt the beginning of pity burbling within her, but she tamped it down. She didn't want to dwell on how unfair her life was because if she started, the tears would follow, and she refused to cry. Tears were foreign to her.

"What do you think of this pattern?"

A girl no less than a few years younger than Nkechi held up a beautiful string of colourful beads. Vibrant greens and blues intertwined artfully, showcasing the nature of the Nah Barros tribe. A tribe ruled by water and nature.

"I think it will suffice," Nkechi shrugged.

The young girl looked to the other garment makers in shock before she scurried away. They all seemed to be dissatisfied with Nkechi's behaviour. Perhaps they expected her to be more involved in the dress making but Nkechi couldn't find the energy to care. Regardless of what the dress looked like, by the following day it would be discarded, and it would be her body she would have to reveal to a strange man. She couldn't understand why all of a sudden, the thought of an arranged marriage did not sit well with her.

It was common among so many tribes and especially with someone of her nature and yet Nkechi was beginning to abhor the reality. It didn't matter that she had always known she would never marry for love, the reality of it was still unsettling.

"Perhaps you can add some black beading or string to represent my nation?"

The young girl gave Nkechi a gentle smile as she began to adjust her work with small threads of black beading.

"Are you done with your meal?"

"Does it look like I have finished my meal?" Nkechi sneered at the woman who stood before her.

Nkechi chewed on the bone, crushing it into a pulp as she stared down the woman with regal baring and anger in her eyes. Nkechi had learned her name was Zafra and she was delusional. She harboured ill feelings towards Nkechi. It was obvious why.

"It's unbecoming to eat the way you do." Zafra commented snidely.

"And it's unbecoming to pout and sulk like some pitiful creature when the man you desire decides you are unworthy of his time, energy and lineage. Yet here you are doing exactly that."

Zafra's almond skin flushed pink with embarrassment

"You don't understand who you're marrying. His importance to our tribe, to our nation is unimaginable and you're not even taking this seriously. Look at her."

Zafra flapped her arms about, motioning at the way Nkechi reclined on her chair with little care.

"I do not care about the life you had envisioned for yourself or why you believe you deserve Makaio. Your disappointment means nothing to me or my Goddess. So, swallow your anger and direct it elsewhere. We all find ourselves in situations that we would otherwise avoid. Deal with it, it's life."

"But you don't even want him," she cried pitifully.

"And neither do you. You want the status that would come with being his Solah but that is no longer attainable. I am here and I am the only woman he will marry. Deal with it because this will be the last time, I address these petty juvenile dramatics."