9

"Thank you Nkechi. We appreciate everything you have done for us."

"No, thank you Haneef, for letting me stay here and eat all of your wonderful food."

Haneef chuckled heartily and smacked Nkechi on the back. Nkechi winced and looked to Haneef's wife Amala, who mouthed an apology.

Nkechi had stumbled upon Amala and Haneef's community a few days after she had left her home and the couple had welcomed her into their home and community with open arms. Nkechi had been surprisingly shocked when no one had recognised who and what she was. Nkechi had become so accustomed to the hushed whispers and wide eyes that she often received, that she had forgotten what it felt like to be normal.

It had been a much pleasant surprise to realise that not only had this community not known what Nkechi was but that they did not require anything in exchange for her stay. The loving couple were more than happy to accept her into their home as their daughter had left the community for marriage a short while before. Nkechi had filled the void of their absent daughter in return, Nkechi had a few days rest from her travels.

"Do you have any idea where you are heading Nkechi?" Questioned Amala.

"Yes, no? I think I'll head North, my feet may take me Eastwards," Nkechi shrugged.

"And your heart may take you South," chuckled Haneef nudging Nkechi's shoulder roughly.

Nkechi grimaced again and then laughed with him. She would miss the light-heartedness of this small civilisation. Their mortal minds had never glimpsed the world that Nkechi knew. They lived in their bubble of bliss whilst Nkechi's existence was a statement within itself. Her existence was a sign of some higher power and she had to live with that reality for her whole life. It was nice that she could forget for a short while, but reality was calling her.

"I'll miss you both! Be safe and remember you can send for me if you ever need me. I may not get there straight away, but my final destination is the Der Surjaz land. My friend is the leader of the tribe and she will take any message you send."

Amala smiled softly and kissed Nkechi's cheek. "Thank you, my warrior, but I doubt we will need any help. Our home has been peaceful for some centuries now."

Nkechi nodded her head in acquiescence but she hoped that the married couple would remember her words. Giving them both a final squeeze and waving goodbye to the few members of the community, Nkechi made her way through the jungle.

Her feet carried her Northbound until nightfall came. She swung her body up onto a tree and then secured herself inside the branches, so she did not fall. As soon as she became comfortable sleep beckoned her forward. Soft green eyes calling her forward.

Her peaceful sleep was disturbed by the clanging of bells and loud shouting.

Rubbing her eyes in disorientation, Nkechi looked to the sky in puzzlement. The skyline was cast in a deep orange glow that flickered with hues of red. Her confusion quickly transferred into worry when she noted the thick grey plumes of smoke that seemed to be intertwined.

There was a fire. Dread rattled in her chest because she knew in her gut where the fire had come from. She quickly grabbed her few belongings and jumped from the tree.

Her feet thudded to the floor as a piercing scream rattled through the air.

"Shit," Nkechi cursed.

She dusted the dirt off her body and ran blindly to where the noise was coming from. She knew no matter what the situation was, the outcome would not be good for her. She had slept her first completely dreamless night which meant The Goddess was actively hiding something from Nkechi.