3

Nkechi's nose grazed the earth as she made her way back home. Confusion clouded her mind as she continued to pick up on a familiar scent. Her nostrils twitched as she followed the trail until the scent led her behind a massive tree. Deep within the shrubbery that lay at the bed of the tree, were articles of clothing that seemed to be marked with her scent. Using a large paw, she pushed the items aside to get a better look and when it became clear they were hers; she allowed the shift to take place. Her warrior form sunk back into her human body until she was as naked as the day she was born.

She wasted no time and hastily got changed into the clothes before stepping out from behind the tree.

"I know you're there," she called out, waiting for the footfalls to sound closer.

"I wasn't trying to hide," her brother's familiar voice snorted back at her.

"No?" She questioned, her ears sharpening to see if she could pinpoint where he was. "I suppose you were the person who left these clothes for me. They are a little further away than I usually place them."

"Correct," he grinned appearing from a tree that was not too far away from her.

"How did you know?"

"You weren't exactly discrete, you're just lucky it was me and not someone else that saw," Femi chided softly.

Nkechi hummed softly as she regarded her brother in a curious light. "Do you plan on telling father about me having a Dahara?"

Femi's face fell into a snarl at her question. "You know me better than that, Nkechi. Of course, I wouldn't tell that man. His judgement cannot be trusted."

Nkechi titled her head in concession before following her brothers guide back to their home. Her brother's reaction to what she deemed very surprising news was still ruminating in her mind.

"You don't seem surprised by this revelation at all." Her tone was almost accusatory, earning her a baleful laugh from her brother

"I'm an observant man, Niki. I noticed the change in you quite quickly. You became more primitive and animalistic. Seeing you in those first few days of your return, was like looking at me when my Dahara first awoke. It was quite obvious if you know what you are looking for," Femi responded defensively.

Nkechi nodded her head softly as she pondered on her brothers' words. She knew Femi would never mean her any harm and everything that he said had to be taken as the absolute truth. He held no ulterior motive, and Nkechi would bet her life on it. In the silence of their retreat, Nkechi couldn't help but wonder if anyone else had noticed the obvious signs that her brother mentioned. She had tried her best these past few weeks to be as inconspicuous as possible. She had often struggled to imitate her old behaviour, but she had thought she was doing well. That wasn't the case and perhaps this more primitive side was the reason behind her and her father's volatile relationship.

As if reading her mind, Femi began the topic of their father. "Father hasn't suspected your nature yet, but he has noticed the change in you. You are a lot more vocal and it hasn't slipped his attention that you go missing for days at a time if not longer. Most of the tribe have noticed this."

"How long was I gone for this time?"

"Nearly half a moon cycle," Femi responded dryly.

Nkechi's eyes widened at the revelation. Two weeks. She had been gone for nearly two weeks. In her warrior form, the journey had felt like hours, at the most a few days but weeks? Nkechi's had not anticipated she was gone for that long. "How livid is he?"

"Beyond compare, Nkechi. I worry about your return; it will not be pleasant. He will say things and I know- "Femi's voice cracked as anger lined his dark eyes. His fingers flexed in the palm of his hands as his jaw clenched fin supersede fury. "I know you will not bite your tongue sister, so be warned this will end ugly."