Chapter 9

Your eyes slowly open to see the fire place with the embers burning down slowly. You snuggle into what you now see is a pillow. "Thomas?" You call out groggily sitting up from your laying position on the couch. You look around until you look on the coffee table to see a note addressed to you. You lean over grabbing it.

"My Dearest (Y/N),
Work required me to go back home, but I will return shortly. I also want to say that when I called you 'Dove' the past night I mean it as a term of endearment. I wish to express my feelings toward you in person when I return. I have not been completely honest with you and I wish to let you hear my deepest thoughts. Just know that I will return, heal your wounds, and be back in your arms if you will have me.

Only Yours, Thomas Conrad."

You find your heart beating more rapidly blood rushing to your cheeks. You thought last night was a dream if it weren't for the dull ache in your feet as well as the bandages that accompany them. You bring your legs into a crisscross position to see your bandages. There is a little bit of blood peaking through but everything seems to be in order. You press your fingers into the bandages and yes it indeed hurt so you decided to not try and walk around and hurt yourself further. You lay back down staring up at the ceiling thinking about the night before. You thought about how Thomas cared for you, how firm yet comforting his chest felt as you laid against him, and his lips pressed themselves against your forehead. Your mind wanders to what the future could hold for the both of you. With one look, touch, or sound of his voice caused butterflies to erupt in your stomach. Despite the ache in your feet you decide against your better judgment to stand up and hobble toward the kitchen area to your gas stove turning it on as you go to your fridge and take out a container that kept pancake mix pouring a good amount on the pan. You have the heat turned low so you wouldn't have to stand up the entire time and sit on the couch as you set a time so you know when to flip the pancake. Your feet ache more now you know Thomas would probably scold you for ruining his handy work but you could probably smooth it over with a good batch of pancakes with homemade maple and strawberry syrup. You love the look on Thomas' face when he tries your food. It is as if he hasn't tasted something so good and you are astonished by how much he hasn't tried and has been living almost 30 years. 

A chime rings around the living room as you reach for your phone you notice it isn't the one chiming. The rhythm begins to pick up as you look around the room to see nothing. You see a shadow pass over the wall from the window across from it. You look toward the window the curtains are shut. You walk over and peak through the curtains to see 3 people standing in your front yard. They are wearing all white with white cloaks covering their face. Even their shoes are white the only splash of color on them was electric blue emblem that you couldn't make out from the distance. The two on the outside are holding a walking stick with bells at the top. They are stomping it on the ground at various speeds. 'Is this some kind of cult?' You reach for your phone as you keep an eye outside. You bow your head to pull up the phone app to begin typing in '911' You look up again to see that the middle person has something big in their hand and a lighter. As you realize what it is you dive away from the window as your living room window shatters and flames lick the ground you were just standing on. You get back on your feet and start running to the best of your ability to the back door. I crash comes from the right side as you see more people in white kicking your bedroom door down. You scream and throw the back door open only to bump into the chest of a particularly bulky cultist. Their arms catch you by the waist before rising you into the air and slamming your back down on the hardwood floor, your head bouncing against the floor as well. It knocks the air out of your lungs and your vision is doubled due to the force of the back of your head hitting so hard. 

Smoke begins to fill the air as you seem multiple white clad people standing above you. One person in particular grabs a hand full of the front of your shirt hoisting you up. The only parts of you touch the ground was the back of your legs. Your head is lulled back so you are seeing things upside down as they drag you toward the front door. The transition from wooden floor to concrete, to grass and dirt are harsh on the tip of your heels. As you begin to gain more sense you begin to lift your head and hands trying to escape digging your heels into the ground as you approach the edge of the forest facing your house when you look back you see is now entirely engulfed in flames. You hoist yourself to the persons exposed hand and bite down as hard as you can. "Shit!" The man based on how deep his voice is exclaims as he looks at his bleeding hand. In his haste to get his hand away from you he lets you go and you plop on the ground. You scrambles to your hands and knees only to be grabbed by the same man by your hair. Your head slams into the ground. Once, twice, a third time your head hits the ground a shout mixed with a grunt escaping you each time. You are sure that you may have a split lip and a gash in your forehead. By the feeling of warm liquid passing its way over your eyes and into your mouth, smelling and tasting iron. The forth and final hit to the ground knocks you unconscious.