(ii)

It's roughly a week before he sees you next.

Right on time too, according to the briefings he had received. Once a week you'd come up with your next batshit crazy idea and someone would be sent to make sure you didn't execute it.

It was more of a babysitting gig than anything. Most people would do one, maybe two assignments before asking to not be sent again.

He was not most people. He volunteers to go again. His afternoon is relatively free and he's bored.

Also, and more importantly, he needs to get out of the house before Sam finds out what he did.

"You'll find her near the Statue of Liberty."

"How do we know?"

"Oh, she tells us."

"...she tells us where to find her?"

"Most times, yes. She says it's time efficient."

Absurd. He thinks you're absurd.

Bucky finds you in line to board the ferry. You're dressed to the nines like an obnoxious tourist, even though you were a local, topped with binoculars and a bucket hat.

On an unrelated note, he thinks that maybe the mission today is to kill you for daring to wear sandals with socks like a suburban dad. A shudder runs through his body when he sees it.

He's wearing all black and a baseball cap. Somehow he's standing out more than you are.

He boards the ferry behind you, keeping a close eye on all your movements. You take your place near the railing, a seat near the front of the boat.

His phone rings. He answers it, expecting Sam to screech at him for painting Redwing neon pink again. He should have known it was coming after he shoved Bucky off the quinjet before he had time to strap his parachute on properly.

"I thought I told you to bring a cape."

He quickly looks up at you but you're not facing him. You have your phone held up to your ear, however.

"How did you get this number?" he asks icily.

"I knew you'd show up again." Your head tilts to look at the statue in the distance. "Also, thanks for the door money, but I'm not sure I appreciate how you think the least creepy way to give someone money is to drop it off anonymously at their doorstep."

"That doesn't answer my question." He swiftly gets up, stalking over to where you're sitting. He was advised not to do anything aggressive. Advised was a flexible word.

"Because I wasn't going to answer it." You look up at his figure looming over you. "Oh, hey."

The phone is still pressed to the side of your face even though he's right beside you. He cuts the call, shoving it back into his pocket.

"Allow me to introduce my pl-"

"What are you doing here?" He cuts to the chase.

You send him a glare. "I was going to say it before you told me to. And sit down before everyone thinks you're going to kill me."

"Why are you going there?" He doesn't have time for this, he thinks. He has important things to do. Like watching the reruns of Masterchef Junior.

He sits in the seat beside you.

"Look at us." You grin at him. "Me with the evilest outfit I could think of, you with your... Addams Family cosplay. We're like, two peas in a po-"