(vii)

Bucky can't stop staring at the mirror.

He wishes it was for narcissistic purposes. He had enough reason for it to be. His age may be a hundred but he had the youthful exuberance of a very drained sixty year old.

But no, it wasn't because of the steel cut jawline or thousand gigawatt smile.

After last week's mini-spiral, he does what almost half the videos on TikTok warn him not to do.

He got a haircut.

Everyone's reaction stopped him from following it up with an ear piercing, but he can't confidently say he didn't at least consider it once. Maybe a neck tattoo.

He pulls at a lock of hair. It's not even longer than his finger.

What did he do-

"It's just a haircut, man," he says to no one in particular, almost like he's trying to reassure himself.

He runs his hands through his hair. It takes lesser time than he was used to.

Steve had told him he looked good. But then again, Steve wore a fugly costume 90% of the time, what did he know?

Clint acknowledged it and didn't outright call him ugly, which he supposed was a compliment. Wanda simply smiled at him.

"FRIDAY?" he reaches out.

"Yes, Sergeant Barnes?" comes the automated reply.

"How are you?" It took him some getting used to her, given that she was constantly listening to everything, and in general seemed to go against the universal idea of privacy.

But his therapist told him he needed to form friendships.

She didn't mention it had to be human ones.

"As good as ever. Is there anything I can help you with?"

He wants to ask her what she thinks of his hair until he realises fashion advice from a faceless AI is a new low for him. Maybe 'Do you think I should crawl into a pit and die?' would be more appropriate.

"Never mind," he dismisses instead. "Any messages for today?"

"A reminder to buy a harder bed because you can't keep sleeping on the floor." Ah, that was on Sam's recommendation three months ago, but he wasn't going to stop any time soon. "And a text from a contact named Nuisance saying to meet them at the attached location in thirty minutes."

"Where is the location?"

"The local sports centre."

"Isn't that closed today?"

If he had to go out in public looking like this, maybe he could wear a cap and sunglasses and no one would recognise him. Unfortunately, as he was reminded several times before by anyone with an iota of common sense, it was a stupid disguise.

Beanie it was, then. Bare minimum.

"It is, yes." Fewer citizens to worry about.

"Okay." He hesitates in front of the mirror again, adjusting the hat on his head. "Thank you, FRIDAY."

"You're welcome, Sergeant."

He stares at the little tuft of hair at the front that refused to stay down no matter how much he shoved it back.

"Come on, man," he exhales in slight despair. "Whatever."

____

The lock of the door leading to the pool is easy enough to pick. He can see how you got in without a hitch even though it was closed.