(xi)

Bucky thought that with all the technological advancements the world had made in terms of vaccines and mobile phones, ancient practices would be left behind in the past, where they belong.

So when a letter arrives in the official Avengers mailbox, addressed to him, it's a bit jarring. There's a wax seal, picture perfect calligraphy and faded edges; a full blast from the past.

Valorous m'rning James,
We shalt meeteth on our regular day at mine own lair, at 11:30am. Doth not beest late.
Bringeth me a presenteth. Or taketh off thy shirt.
With a heart full of misprise,
Thy sup'rvillain.

He ignores the thinly veiled threat in the first line and the clear flirtation in the third to last. The latter is harder to dismiss, but still.

He wonders if SHIELD has anything to do with the lair you've acquired for yourself. After the last conversation about your workplace, he did a little research. For the safety of humankind.

It's a little different than what he was expecting. A lot more usage of the words 'holistic development' and 'practical learning' that he'd ever seen. Then again, the world post-Snap was different.

The lair door is closed to visitors, so gives three knocks and waits patiently.

"Who is it?" Your voice floats through the intercom.

Bucky looks up at the camera. "It's me."

"Sarge?" The door swings open a few seconds ago. "You're here."

It takes a moment for him to realise you're not in your usual get-up. Still in your pajamas, as a matter of fact. Strange, but probably a costume for whatever shit you had going on that day.

"Got your letter." He holds it up as proof, waving it around slightly.

Your eyes squint in confusion before it suddenly hits you.

"Shit, I forgot I sent that." You facepalm. "I mailed it, like, two weeks ago."

The more he takes in your appearance, the more apparent it becomes that something wasn't quite right.

There was a little crease between your eyebrows that didn't look like they were going anytime soon, the slump of your shoulders and the missing liveliness-

"You okay?" he asks a little awkwardly, gruffer than he wants to sound.

You shift your balance to lean against the door frame. "I'm a little stressed."

Clearly, if the circles under your eyes were any kind of indication.

"Anything wrong?" He didn't want to pry but he didn't want to ignore it all together either.

"A lot of missing class prep. The parade thing kinda set me back, I got a lot to make up for."

His lips press together in a straight line. "I thought someone was covering for you."

You half-nod. "Turns out they weren't that great. The kids didn't learn much so I'm doing it again but class starts tomorrow and I have a lot to cover because I also have to do my current prep on top of last week's, and I'm also covering someone else's classes because she's out sick, and there's the stupid play coming up so I have prop work to do-"

You cut yourself off with a small smile. "Sorry, I'm rambling."

He hasn't seen you this... serious ever. He doesn't like it very much.