3

Korra

I could still feel the warmth from her palm on the back of my hand and hear the ring of her voice even though it happened a couple days ago now. I haven't seen her around here before but I don't think I'll see her again after that either, she was probably just here for a visit or some minor check up. That's what all of them are here for anyway, they never stay for long.

The foam art upon the latte in my hand ignites a warmth in my chest. She ordered the same thing as me that day, smiled at me too.

"Is there something funny in that coffee?"

I look up and place the cup down on the table next to the bed. "No."

He laughs at me for the second time. Bolin has always been this smiley. I envied him at one point, almost despised him that someone could be happy with an illness similar to mine. But Bolin never let that get to him. I'm still here, that's what he told me. And as long as I'm still here, I'm going to make the most of it.

I wish I had that sort of mindset. He kept bothering me from the first week I was here until I finally let myself 'befriend' him. Turns out he's not terminal like me but there's still a high chance we both leave this world at some point: yet he doesn't let that bother him either in the slightest.

"You were smiling at it." He says and nudges his brother that's sat next to him. "Am I right Mako?"

"Something on your mind?" Mako asks with a smug smile on his face. Though we don't know eachother that well, he always swings by when he can, offering small chatter everytime Bolin drags me into his room to tell me about his day. He's a nice guy to say the least. They both are.

I shrug. "Nothing."

"Doesn't look like nothing but it's nice to see you smile." Bolin says, he looks like he's just got out of treatment, something I've been running from all day. "You've been driving Lin haywire by the way."

I laugh. "It gives her something to do, I'm making her job more entertaining."

"You realise every time you run off she comes in here and interrogates me right?" Bolin says and I nod.

"Thanks by the way, for not throwing me under the bus." I say and I change the channel on Bolin's TV from the news to some track running.

"You're welcome but I will soon if you don't stop being late. This stuff isn't here to make you feel worse you know?" Bolin says and it's a repeat from what he said the other day. "It's all part of the healing process."

A hum rumbles in my throat. "I know, I know." I don't know how many times I've heard nurses say that to me. It goes through one ear and out the other nowadays.

My eyes move around Bolin's room, it's a lot more colourful than mine is. That's understandable though, he's been here a little longer than me. When the polystyrene cup moves into view again, my breath hitches and my mind is swarmed with memories of that woman. Before I know it, I'm smiling again.

Bolin cuts off my little daydream when he picks up the cup and takes a sip.
"Hey! If you wanted one, you should've asked me to get you one earlier." I say, gently taking it out of his hands before he could demolish it.

"Sorry, sorry." He says with his hands up in surrender. "You keep smiling at it so..."

Green eyes, dark hair. She was so pretty. "It's not the drink that I'm smiling about."

Bolin sits up in his bed. "Oh? It's not?" He asks and I regret even saying a word. "Then what is it?"

"Nothing."