22

Asami

The coffee cup in my palms keeps me warm from the wind, as if my coat is paper thin. I should really consider getting a new one soon but Ginger stands beside me in barely nothing and she looks unbothered. Perks of being a professional actress I suppose.

"Cold, isn't it?" She tells me.

I take a sip, hoping that it would warm me up from the inside. It doesn't. "Very."

Ginger's shoulder brushes up against mine and she nudges me. "What's wrong?"

That question catches me off guard. I slowly turn to my left, looking at her and suddenly my elbows on the railing feel a bit heavier. "Nothing..?"

Ginger frowns and looks out to the car park. The sunrise is just peaking through the trees ahead of us, the whole reason I decided to meet up with her in the early morning. "There's clearly something wrong Asami."

She's too good. But what do I expect from a best friend like her? My hands find a better grip on my cup and I'm afraid if I hold it any firmer, the lid would pop off and over the side.

"I can see the cogs working in that head of yours." Ginger says. "Talk to me. What are you feeling?"

Everything at once. I take a sip in the hope that it would unfreeze my voice box that seems to not be working. It does nothing but burn my tongue.

I've never felt like this before. I've never wanted something to work so badly.

"I know you Asami." Ginger starts again. "You feel a lot and sometimes it's awesome, then sometimes it's horrible."

She's got that right, hit the bullseye so perfectly I can even feel her smirking next to me.

"It's her isn't it?"

Ten points to Ginger.

She chuckles and then leans forward against the railing. "I have to admit, you guys look the part together. She's sweet."

My cheeks are probably red hot. "She's more than sweet."

"Oh!" Ginger exclaims, surprised. "You have a voice?"

I laugh at her childish behaviour. "Sorry Ginger, I'm not really awake right now."

"No shit, you called me out here at six in the morning. What time did you even get back? Three?"

I shrug, already feeling my lips tug into a smile at the memories of yesterday. "Korra told me to come in later so I could say goodbye to you."

Ginger crosses her arms. "Later? So why six in the morning?"

"I can't just skip my job because a patient told me to."

The smirk that's plastered on her face tells me I've fucked up. "She's not really a patient is she?"

I roll my eyes and wander over to the trash can that's three feet away, tossing my empty cup into it. "Whatever, I've got a job to do and it's to..." keep her alive. Keep her well and breathing.

I slump back against the railing, letting my head hang low. "I can't miss a minute Ginger. I'll lose her if I do."

Ginger takes action and I feel her hand rub circles on my back. "I get it Asami and I see that you're trying your hardest. Shit this is the hardest I've ever seen you try for someone." She mutters. "I just.. don't want you falling apart."

I don't care if my world falls to bits, I'll continue to do everything I can to keep hers together. It hurts, stings, because she is the definition of right person but not enough time. "I'll be okay." I finally respond. "What time is your flight?"