three || the first day

Amber got through her first class biology easily but she was extremely bored. Little did she know the next class would be way more interesting. She walked into her second period math class very unenthusiastically due to it being her worst subject.
"Name?" her math teacher asked the second she walked the door.
"Amber..." she paused before saying the last name, knowing the second that her teacher knew it he would want her to live up to impossible standards. Her sister being a popular, beautiful genius and her brother being an athletic, smart student, she knew she would have to be perfect to get any recognition.
Before Amber could even say Newton, her new teacher figured it out. "Ah, another Newton! That's great. Go sit in the back corner please, Ms. Newton."
She just nodded and walked to her assigned seat. She sat down tiredly, all her energy from before being drained by the thought of having to do math after her 3 month summer break. She was staring out the window, completely zoned out until she noticed a boy walking towards her. He was smiling the most adorable smile she'd seen.
"Hey, I'm-" the boy began, before getting cut off by Amber.
"Charlie Conway!" she said excitedly.
"Uh yeah, how'd you know?" he asked confusedly.
She realized how embarrassed she was in that second. She seemed obsessive and crazy. "Um I- I play hockey. I'm a big fan of the ducks!"
"Oh that's cool!" At least Charlie seemed totally chill and nice. "Are you trying out for the team here?" he asked.
"Yeah, I am." she didn't really know what else to say. What do most people say when the boy they think is crazy hot tries to talk to them on their first day of school?
"Oh great! So how'd you start playing hockey?" he seemed actually interested in talking to Amber, even though there were tons of other people he could have talked to in that class.
"My dad always loved it. He even almost played pro but he got hurt before the season started. So he taught it to me and my older siblings when we were young so I've always loved it. And my brother has too, he's on varsity here." Amber rambled before realizing she probably over shared and he probably doesn't actually care. "Um anyways, what about you?"
Charlie was smiling and gazing at her attentively. "Well me and the other ducks started in D-5 but we kinda sucked. Then Coach Bombay taught us how to really play. We played pretty good and I guess, now we're here, at this school on a scholarship." Amber already kinda knew about that stuff but she liked hearing Charlie explain it. He was really happy talking about hockey.
"Pretty good? You guys are amazing!" Amber said. She noticed Charlie blush a little.
"Thanks. So-" Charlie began until their conversation got cut short by the teacher, Mr. Williams, speaking to the class.
"Okay, everyone, welcome! You're freshman year of high school will be a wonderful experience. That being said, I'm sure you're all excited but we need to settle down." Mr. Williams continued to talk, going on about the rules, syllabus, and that night's homework. That was until the bell rang.
The class started to leave the classroom, one by one. Charlie left but to Amber's surprise, waited outside the doorway for her. "Hey, Amber!" he said, gaining her attention.
"Oh hey, Charlie." Amber said cooly trying to not sound as excited as she really was.
The pair began to walk away from math and towards their next classes. "What class do you have now?" Amber asked.
"Uhh I'm not sure. Maybe biology?" Charlie responded. "What about you?"
Amber laughed a little at the boy's confusion, "I have history." Amber turned and realized the biology classroom she had just been was right there. "Do you have Mrs. Garcia for bio?"
"Uh yeah." Charlie said.
"Oh, well her class is right there." Amber said pointing at the classroom on the right. "I just had her before math."
"How was it?"
"Boring."
"Wish me luck!"
"Good Luck, Charlie!"
Charlie vanished into the biology classroom while Amber kept walking.
"Oh my gosh!" Amber heard someone say. She turned around to see her brother. "Amber, was the THE CHARLIE CONWAY you were just talking to?" He exaggerated Charlie's name to tease his youngest sister. Even though he meant it to annoy her, Amber could tell there was a hint of real excitement in his voice.
"Why, yes it was!" She said smiling.
"Oooh, you're all smiley!" Henry laughed.
"Shut up! He's just in my math class. He sits next to me so we were talking during class." Amber explained.
"Is he as wonderful as you thought he'd be?" Henry just kept teasing his sister.
"Gosh, you're annoying. Yes, I loved talking to Charlie Conway!" She said in a little bit of a sarcastic and over dramatic tone, but they both knew it was true.
"I know you did." Henry said turning his head towards an open classroom door. "This is my class, see ya later, Am."
Before Amber could speak, her brother had disappeared. She just continued to walk to her next class.