twenty nine || getting ready and pictures

It had been the longest week ever. You know how when you're so excited for something that the days leading up to that thing just seen longer and longer? That's how the whole school felt, especially Amber. She loved dressing up and she was so excited to wear her new dress. She was also excited to dance and to go with CHARLIE CONWAY. If Amber had told her 8th grade self she'd be going to the school dance with Charlie Conway, she would've thought she was crazy. She wouldn't ever believe it. She was insanely excited about tonight, finally the day of the dance. She was sitting through her last class, art. She had been talking to her friends about the dance: getting ready together, driving together, things like that. Grace was planning on coming over early so they could do their makeup and get dressed. Then, an hour before the dance started, at 6 o'clock, Ross, Bradley, Evie, and Charlie would come over. They would have 30 minutes for pictures that the girls wanted, and then 30 minutes to get to school even though it normally only took 15 minutes to get there. Amber wanted to make sure they didn't run out of time for anything. She was so excited for the dance.

---

Amber stood in the mirror, admiring her appearance. It was 5:50pm, one hour and ten minutes before the dance. She had curled her brown, long, once straight hair. She put on silver jewelry: necklaces, rings, bracelets, and earrings. She also had her charm bracelet on that had been given back to her by Charlie the night he asked her to go to the dance. She did her makeup full glam: foundation, concealer, blush, bronzer, highlighter, mascara and lashes, eyeliner, and even eyeshadow. She applied the final makeup product, matte dark pink lipstick, and put on her pink dress and bedazzled silver shoes. She walked over to where Grace was. "Ready?" She asked.
"Yeah," Grace said, turning around. "You look amazing, Am."
"Thanks, Grace, so do you." Amber smiled.
Then, they heard a knock at the door. "Are you guys ready?" Henry asked.
Amber went over to the door and opened it, "Yeah. Ooh, I like the tie! I chose a great color." Amber smiled.
"Thanks, Am. You look... not as gross as usual." He teased. The two siblings always joked around like that. Amber just gave the boy an exaggerated angry look causing him to laugh. Then, Grace walked towards the door, red hair straightened, makeup done, sparkling long dress hanging above her knees. She looked absolutely gorgeous. "Wow, Grace." Henry said, a look of awe on his face. "You look... a-amazing." He stuttered a bit.
"Careful, Henry. You're basically drooling." Amber teased. Both girls laughed while Henry began to blush. Luckily he was saved by the doorbell ringing. Amber went downstairs quickly, followed by Grace and Henry.
She opened the door to see Charlie. He had a traditional suit with a pink tie, the same color as Amber's dress. "Wow, Amber. You look... wow." Charlie said, Amber laughed and went closer to the boy, hugging him.
"You're so cute." She smiled and pulled away while he blushed. She looked into his eyes and held his hands. Henry made fake barf noises. He was truly bipolar, one second shipping them and the next, fake barfing.
"I love your dress, Am. You look beautiful." Charlie said.
"Thank you, Charlie." She blushed... like a lot. "I'm really happy we're going to the dance together."
"Me too, Am. It's great you said yes."
"How couldn't I? You're adorable." She laughed. He smiled, a lot.
"Oh, Amber, I have something for you." He said, taking his hands away from Amber's and pulling something out of his pocket. It was a small velvet pink box. She opened the box and inside was a silver necklace with a cursive letter on it. On the letter was a light pink rhinestone.
"Charlie, I love it!" Amber said, wrapping her arms around the boy. "Thank you! Is the C for Charlie?"
"No it's for Carrot." Henry said sarcastically.
"Shut up, Henry." Amber rolled her eyes.
"Yeah it is." Charlie smiled.
"Can you put it on me?" Amber asked looking at Charlie.
"Sure." He said. He was so happy, being with Amber about to go to a dance with her. She turned around, her back facing him. He carefully moved her hair out of the way and wrapped the necklace around her neck. He hooked the clasp together. It looked great.
"Wow, it's so pretty, Am!" Grace said.
"Thanks, Grace." Amber said and excitedly turned back around to face Charlie.
"She's right, and it's even prettier on you."
"I love it, Char. Thank you!" She said, hugging him again.
"Aww, so sweet." Henry said sarcastically.
Grace hit his arm. "Henry, shut up! You're just mad you don't have a girl to give a necklace to."
"Damn, Gracie. I'm hurt." He said just as sarcastic as before. He put a hand to his heart to exaggerate the pain more. He dramatically walked away, even though the only reason he did that was to get his keys and the camera.
Then, the door bell rang. Amber opened the door to see Bradley, Ross, and Evie. Everyone exchanged compliments and hellos. Evie seemed really sweet and fun and she was totally gorgeous. Amber and Grace were talking to her for a little while.  Meanwhile, Ross and Charlie actually got along pretty well and talked to each other. Bradley wasn't very enthusiastic about hanging out with Charlie but he tried his best to get along with him, for Amber.
After a little while, Henry came back. "Ready for pictures?" He asked.
"Ooh, yeah!" Amber said happily. First, Henry took a picture of all 6 of them. Then, he took one of the 3 girls and one of the 3 boys. Amber also took a picture with Grace, and Ross with Bradley. Then the 4 childhood friends took a picture together. Amber also took pictures with Henry. "Oh! I want a picture with Charlie." Amber said, once the rest of the pictures were done. Charlie smiled and pulled her towards him, her back facing him and his arms around her for the picture. She just started laughing, nothing was funny but she was crazy happy.
"What are you laughing about?" Charlie said, laughing as the girl's laughs and smiles seemed contagious.
"I don't know, Charlie. I'm just really happy." She turned around to face him and kissed him.
"Aww, that probably made an adorable picture!" Grace said. Amber laughed and ran towards Grace who had been holding the camera. She was right, it was a cute picture.
"Ooh! I love it! Look, Charlie." She said, showing him the picture.
"It's great," He smiled.
"Okay, I want one with Ross now!" Evie said, smiling. They posed and Amber took the picture.
"You guys are adorable together!" Amber said happily. She was happy Ross had found someone to go with.
"I wish I had someone to take pictures with." Grace stated.
"Well, you're accidentally matching with Henry. Just take pictures with him." Ross suggested casually.
"Ew." Grace said.
"Come on, Gracie." Henry said, grabbing the girl's hand, pulling her towards the spot they had been posing for pictures. They posed, just perfectly.
"Okay, ready?" Amber asked. "5..."
"Grace, I wanna ask you something." Henry said, quietly so no one could hear.
"4..."
"Okay, what is it?" Grace asked the boy.
"3..."
"Well, I wanted to know if you-" He started, before his sister's counting cut him off.
"2..."
"Will you be my date to the dance?" He finished.
"1..." Grace's face filled with shock, she stared at Henry. Then, the camera shuttered and the flash became bright.
"What? You're joking right?" Grace asked.
"No, I mean- I wasn't but if you don't want to, it's fine." Henry said.
"No, no. That's not it. I'm just surprised. I do wanna go with you, like really want to. So, of course I'll be your date."
"Good." Henry smiled.
Everyone had been watching their whispers, confused.
"Uh, can you retake it?" Grace asked.
"Sure." Amber said awkwardly. They posed again and Amber snapped the picture. She showed it to Grace and they all looked at all the pictures. "Before we go... what were you guys talking about?" Amber asked.
"Umm... Am, I'm going to the dance with your brother."
Amber's draw dropped. "What?"
"I'm sorry, Am. I-" Grace began before being cut off.
"Grace, I'm not mad. It's kinda cute." She laughed.
"It really is." Ross agreed.
"Shut up." Grace said, laughing and blushing.
"Oh but, Henry, if you hurt her, you're dead." Amber said, making everyone laugh. "Not a joke!"
"Alright, let's go!" Ross said. And they all got in the car.