sixteen || the board meeting

Amber sat in the passenger seat of Henry's car, on their way to the board meeting. She was wearing a short sleeved light pink dress that went to above her knees. It was tighter at the top and more flowy towards the bottom. Amber wore her hair down as usual and had her usual pretty jewelry in. Henry had a suit on, as did every other guy there. Amber hadn't ever been to anything like this, like a court room. She was really nervous about it, and even more nervous to find out if her friends would be able to stay. She really didn't wanna lose them.
"Am, I'm gonna have to stand with the varsity team but... just know, I'm rooting for you, for them." Henry said as they got out of the car.
"I know, Hen." Amber slightly smiled.
Henry hugged his sister before going over to the team. Amber went over to the ducks, standing in between Charlie and Connie.
Dean Buckley cleared his throat, "Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" The board members were just murmuring, which didn't seem like it'd be a good thing. Amber looked down sadly. "I'm sorry, Coach, but unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."
While the varsity team made fun, Amber was on the verge of tears. At least until Coach Orion spoke, "You leave us no choice but to bring in our attorney."
As the door opened, murmuring continued. Then, Amber saw that Bombay was there. She forgot that Charlie said he could help them, she hadn't been sure how he would help but apparently this is it. He was a lawyer before coaching the Ducks.
"Dean Buckley, members of the board, as counsel for Coach Orion and the freshman hockey team, I'm here today to set forth your legal options," Amber noticed Charlie and the other ducks smiling which gave her more hope. "so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned."
"Mr. Bombay, this isn't a legal proceeding." Dean said.
"Not yet, but I can assure you that it will be," he handed his briefcase away saying "Do you mind?" and pulled something out. He continued speaking, "These scholarships... an offer became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients and acceptance of the ducks. They cannot be voided except for cause which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue their cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction. I will tie this matter up in court for years, until king after these kids have gone on to college. And I will collect damages. I will win. Because I am very, very good. You know why I'm so good? Because I had a good education You gave it to me and you're gonna give it to these kids."
"He is good." Coach Orion commented.
"Just getting started." Charlie replied, being right because after that Bombay continued.
"Now some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these ducks don't belong in Eden Hall. Let me tell you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you they will succeed, not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends and I know what they can do. Accordingly, I demand you reinstate their scholarships for their benefit and for your own." Bombay finished. And it worked. The board decided the scholarships would be reinstated. Everyone cheered, except the varsity team of course.
Charlie walked out as Amber went to say something to Henry. When Amber started walking over to Charlie, he saw him with Linda again.
"Hi, Charlie." Linda had said.
"Hey." Charlie responded. "Listen, I'm sorry I was such a jerk."
What is he talking about? Does he like her or something? Amber wondered.
"but... I'm staying in school." Charlie said happily.
"I'm happy you're back!" Linda said.
Amber walked over to them. "Hey, Char! And it's Linda, right?"
"Yeah. Uh, hi." She said sounding a little mad or rude or both.
"I'm so happy you're staying, Charlie. Math and english would be so boring without you." Amber said turning to the boy.
"I gotta go, Charlie. I'll see you around." Linda said.
"Okay bye!" Charlie smiled.
"So who's that?" Amber asked.
"Linda Finley."
"Well, yeah, but like who is she... to you?"
"Jealous?" Charlie teased.
"What would I be jealous of?" Amber got nervous and blushed.
Charlie just laughed. "She's my friend. I met her on the first day and she's in my biology class."
"Hm." Amber replied quietly.
Just then, Rick came over with the rest of the obnoxious varsity team. "Congratulations on destroying our school."
"Hey look, it's our school too." Kenny said.
"It's everyone's school, you idiot." Amber said angrily.
"No, it'll never be your school. Don't you get it? You're our own little affirmative action, brought in for color to entertain us. But you couldn't even do that. Your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong."
"You'll never be anything more than a bunch of rejects here on a free ride." Cole said.
"Free ride? Look at you, rich boy! Mummy and Daddy gave you everything, huh?" Russ said.
"They worked hard to get into this school! They played good and got a scholarship. All you did was be born rich." Amber said.
"Oh yeah and what did you do?" Cole responded.
Amber was about to answer but Henry had enough by then, so he responded. "She got good grades and worked her ass off to get into the school and yeah her tuition gets paid but at least she got in here on her own. Your parents completely bought your way in here. Don't ever talk to my sister like that again or I swear-"
"What, Newton? What are you gonna do?" Cole taunted.
"You guys, cut it out." Rick said, stopping their fight. He turned back to the JV team, "JV-Varsity game's on Friday. Then we'll show the whole school what a joke you really are. Then maybe you'll leave on your own. It'd be the only honorable thing to do."
"You know we're gonna hurt you." Cole teased.
"I'm so scared." Amber said sarcastically as she glared at Cole.
"Listen, you guys had an unfair advantage last time. You had one of us: Banksie." Charlie said.
"Oh, well, keep him. He never had the heart of a Warrior anyway."
"Hey, Biff, one more thing. After we beat you, the Warriors die and the Ducks fly." Russ said, Amber thinking he had too much faith in them. Of course the ducks were good but Varsity was ruthless.
"Hey, anything you say, loser." Rick spat before walking away.
"Good move, Russ. Make 'em even madder." Averman pointed out. "Charlie, we gotta do something, man."
"Yeah, you're right. We've gotta get to work."