4

[Reader...]

No matter what I did the next morning no amount of makeup could cover my swollen shut black eye, or torn lip. I lifted my shirt to see my ribs were also black and blue.

In a split second I made the decision of not going to school, I want to avoid the stares for as long as I could.

Walking to get my brother Cesar with Ceci already dressed and fed in her stroller I knock on Esme's door, he opens it collapsing in my arms in a fit of giggles. The sunglasses I put up just a few blocks away falling a bit, I lifted them back onto my face smiling. Thanking Esmeralda before leaving with Cesar to take him to school.

"What'd you do with Esme?" I asked

"We played soccer, and video games, and ate a lot of food!" He says happily, I smile at him gratefully. As he tells me about his sleepover with the la vecina's kids.

"That's good, you have lunch?" I ask, he nods holding up a paper bag I am assuming filled with lunch. We get close to his school before I hear my name being called from behind me.

"Luna! Hey Luna, wait up!" I look behind me to see dorky kid running towards me, Peter. My heart starts to pound with nerves as I don't want him to see me in such a way but there was no way to avoid it.

"Hey Pete" I said avoiding his gaze as he stood next to me trying to catch his breath.

"Hey, y/n... what's up little man?" He asked Cesar

"Nothing much big dude." Cesar says, Peter laughs.

"You okay?" I nod before continuing to walk towards Cesar's school, Cesar makes small talk telling Peter about his day with the neighbor without giving out major details. He already knows the drill when it comes to talking about our private lives. Once we get to his school he hugs me and kisses me on the cheek before running off but yells out before going inside the doors.

"Don't forget me today!" He yells before running in.

"I won't!" I yell back.

Peter looks at me expectantly, as if he was waiting for me to start a conversation. Mainly staring at the bruise that showed just beneath my sunglasses and busted lip.

"I got jumped by a few people" I lie as I stroll Ceci back to the bodega, trying to get him to stop staring so intently.

"Okay, so your not going to school today?" He asks as to I'm walking the complete wrong way. Taking the hint that I would be absent from school, I nod.

"Not feeling up to it today." He nods but before he could ask anything else I ask him a question that has been heavy on my mind.

"I've been meaning to ask Parker, how is it you come from New York to this side of LA?"

"I told you." He says nervously

"Well then tell me again, there is no way you have friends or family from this side of town." I tell him suspiciously, it was no offense to him, it just looked like he would be into science and robotics and LEGO's, he didn't look like the type to have family or even family friends in the hood. But I could be wrong.

"I don't" he chuckles, I could still hear the nerves in his chuckle

"Then how are you going to a school on the east side? Or why?"

"The other schools were full, and too expensive, too private."

"Too private?" I ask

"Yeah, I mean my uh- my- my friend, Natasha, she comes from New York but she's crazy rich!" He says laughing