chapter 9:

In the clearing, it took Haku quite a bit of time to travel there. Looking around, he didn't see a sign of you or your silhouette, so he wandered a bit further into the woods, trying to spot any movement. Sniffing around, he found a trail of your scent near the clearing, so he decided to head back. Back at the clearing, Haku was beginning to lose hope on finding you when he heard something rustle in the bushes. Cautiously making his way over, he peered behind it. The branches parted to reveal a little bundle of (F/C) fur huddled behind the bush, as if seeking warmth in its own fur. Confused, Haku reached out for the little kitsune, only to have it poof and change back into its human form. Haku had realised that you weren't looking the best these few weeks, despite not always seeing you. He was very concerned for your health since your skin looked paler and you started to look more tired.

You slowly opened your eyes to meet the beautiful green orbs that were peering back at you. Thinking that you were hallucinating, you rub your eyes, still rather tired, even after the short nap that you took after the curse's effects wore off. 

Before Haku had decided to arrive, you were sitting in the clearing, drifting into your thoughts and memories when you suddenly feel a sharp pain in your chest. You had thought that the best way to avoid this pain was to take shallow breaths, as that usually worked when it occurred. It didn't and the pain in your chest only grew worse. Your body took control and tried to force whatever was stuck in your chest out. You coughed into your handkerchief, but the coughing became more intense and strained. The coughing continued and your lungs felt like they were on fire, the same with your throat. Suddenly, a wet substance escaped from your mouth onto your handkerchief. Curious, you look down towards your cloth covered hand and was surprised to see red blood soaking into it. Zeniba's words and warnings came flashing back into your mind, it was the curse taking effect.

You were sitting on the boulder near the pond when your vision spun, only for a few seconds but it was enough to make you feel disoriented. Concluding that it was better to get off the boulder and away from the water just in case you fainted, you chose to settle in the bushes in your more comfortable form, the cute kitsune. Even in the middle of summer, you felt yourself shivering. Shutting your eyes, you promised yourself a bit of shut eye. A few moments later you were woken by a spirit's approach.

Haku saw how your cheeks were flushed, but the rest of your face pale, he reached out a hand and felt your forehead. It was hot, hotter than usual. Being too tired to care, you leaned into his surprisingly soft hand. Haku hissed at the hotness of your forehead and looked very concerned. He was about to stand up and get Lin to come over when he saw that you had curled up and fallen asleep in his lap. Sighing, he left you there and rested his hand on your head, knowing how much you loved the head pats he gave you.

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

word count: 556

hihi! i'm back! i know that i updated this book a day late, but that was because i had gone on a six day holiday trip up to the mountains and there was no wifi and i couldn't bring my laptop along. for those wondering, everything's ok now, so i'll continue updating this book!

signing out, mokkechild