Frayed heart

"We lose control, we feel it in our hands,
like a shattering sand castle "

Hermione barricaded in her private room as a prefect for a week:
she didn't want to see anyone, talk to anyone, alone with her pain.

She had even stopped studying and taking her lessons.
The picture kept getting complicated.

Harry kept circling around their dorm, Ron was sitting on the bed, his hands in his hair. They had to talk to her, luckily she hadn't committed insanity.

Albus had allowed them not to show up for classes that day in order to be close to her psychologically.

- Shall we try to knock? - said Ron with a worried look
Harry took a deep breath. He banged on the door to be opened:
-Hermione, could you open up, we need to talk,
Dumbledore asked for you.

Heartbroken and resigned, she decided to unlock the door. Clack.
She turned away and lay down on the bed to not look into their faces. She was about to implode with pain.
Her dark circles had changed from purple to green, her pupils narrowed and anger was overflowed from everywhere.
Hermione had always been there to support her friends. It was time for the two to shoulder her as well.

-Hermione, yell, yell, whatever you want, but please, talk to us- said urging the raven.
- You can not stay here forever and then you will not be the top of the class- Ron joked with little tact.

Hermione shot the red with a hateful glance vehemently.
- I do not care-

She had even gone so far as to ignore education, herself, the most thirsty for knowledge Harry knew.

-Kaytlyn sent a letter .- said the raven in the hope of making her react, showing it to the curl.

Hermione immediately rushed to snatch it from her hands.

- Leave me alone.
- Hermione but- approached the red
-I SAID OUT-

She couldn't hold control anymore, she couldn't.

You're probably wondering who Kaytlyn is ... let's take a few steps back

Kaytlyn Graves is, without too many words, Hermione's best friend: she and the trio met the first year at Hogwarts in a particular situation: during the preparation of the pimple-killing potion Kaytlyn gave her one of her two quills of porcupine, essential for the success of the potion. After this event they became inseparable; she ended up becoming the fourth member of the current trio.

The girl is a Gryffindor, but ... time to time.
The year had started without her: on the first day of school Albus had warned Ron, Hermione and Harry that the girl would not be back before January, due to serious problems in her family. Which is why Hermione needed her support.

Let's go back to Harry and Ron

Harry sighed deeply.
- I hope that letter and Kay's words can help her-
- Will she be okay? Dumbledore said to not worry, but if she comes back after Christmas she means that, in short, I'm afraid that something has happened to her-
-Hermione will know, she will tell us if she mentions something in the letter.

She was trying to frantically break the sealing wax:

Dear Hermione,
I learned about it today ... better not repeat his name.
I hope the letter got to you in a few hours, as Dumbledore promised.
I wish I could cheer you up, tell you that everything will be fine, I prefer the truth: now more than ever you have to be strong, don't let anger cloud you; this does not mean forgetting what happened or believing that it is right, indeed, but it remains to understand why.
The full story wasn't explained to me, but the point is: why did they try to kill you and not Harry?
I would recommend that you talk to Dumbledore about it.
How am i? Considering the situation I'm fine, tell Ron and Harry too. I know you are probably worried but I plan to return in January, please, you will have to help me recover !;)
Don't let this terrible event crumble you, I promise we will defeat Voldemort.
It's a promise.

A big hug

KayKay

Those words from her made her smile, recovering some calm.
She would be back soon.

The next day Hermione decided to end her isolation.
She walked out of her prefect's room, not smiling. She still managed to muster up her courage.

She exited the Common Room and arrived in the Great Hall she realized that she had all eyes on her: she lai casually she sat down next to Harry and Ron and began to eat.

-'Day- said the red
She didn't answer.
- Did you read Kay's letter? How are you? - asked the raven
After a few moments she gave them her attention and her word:
-She said she'll be back after the Christmas holidays, she's fine- she replied neutral
There was no emotion of any kind in her voice. Nothing at all.

She wanted to keep everything to herself. Harry already had too many worries to look after and Ron, well, he's a smart and kind guy... but when it comes to being inopportune he's a master.

During the lessons she had sat at the last pews so as not to attract prying eyes.
She wasn't focused, but luckily the professors never questioned her.

In the afternoon, as soon as the last lesson was over, she managed to move away from the Castle to go towards the Black Lake. She withdrew there, where all her old memories of her flowed.

————————————————————————
- Oh no, come on Ced! I'm scared! - Hermione said between the angry and amused
- Just a little dip! Dumbledore has casted a spell, no animal can attack us! - exclaimed the boy.
After a few moments of hesitation the girl accepted.
Ced pushed her into the water laughing and tripping her.
-I hate you- she said laughing.
The Hufflepuff dove into the water with her.
-Now it will take days before I manage to remove the algae from my hair- she remarked in exasperation as she tried to untangle her poor hair.
He kept staring at her, smiling.
-Why are you looking at me like that? -She laughed
-I contemplate a natural beauty of the lake-
- Stop it! You are truly incorrigible! -
He caught her and kissed her.
————————————————————————
-Hermione, Hermione-
An abstruse voice called her back to the present.
She turned: there was a worried Harry, worried about her, well for him she was no longer just a friend of his.

He settled back from her, thinking only in the second instance that he had been too reckless and inappropriate.

-Sorry, if you want to be alone, I'll go away-

Even though she was surrounded by people she felt alone: ​​she was left to herself.

-No. Stay-
-Harry ... you ... I know you never met them but, how did you overcome their loss?

- You have helped me to see light where I did not perceive it. You're like the family I've never had-

They continued to chatter and throw stones into the lake: this turned into a competition for who could throw them farthest.
Hermione hints at a first smile after the evening of October 31st.

Watching the two young men from the window was Dumbledore. Ah, what a prodigious mind!
He saw things still hidden from the gaze and thought of others.

The man kept rethinking and reflecting on what had happened: how was it possible that Hermione had come into possession of something important to Voldemort?
Walking back and forth in his study he brooded for several hours and then came to the only possible conclusion: he had to talk to the girl.