→ 𝐈.𝐈𝐗

.

ACT I
CHAPTER IX

cursive river talks

THANA'S EYES LOCK onto Jack's sleeping body, she agreed to take the first watch and wake him after a few hours. Then she would be given the time to sleep before they pack their stuff and move. Where to, is still a question for both of them, but given their supplies and weapons, they know for a fact that they'll try to stay unnoticed until they can no longer.

The night sky is silent, a few stars litter the part Thana can see. Faces of fallen tributes flash before her eyes as she strains her ears to hear every little movement. The night passes as slowly as it can, making Thana feel a little eery in their hiding space. Her hand is on the pocket watch as she thinks about her father and the others of her family. She knows no matter the hurt she has gone through she still loves them and is in a way bound to them. Sometimes, Thana hears noises of animals, moving leaves and water. But here and there you can tributes move around, her money is on the careers, trying to hunt the tributes. But even more rarely, she hears an explosion which brings her back to the explosion she and Jack went through with the ringing in her ears. But other than that a deadly silence fills the night. No rain, no storm, a silence that is almost creepy. In Thana's mind, the hums of her mother echo, her face is vividly in her mind, still untouched by the many lines of worry that mark her face nowadays. Thana starts to hum lowly with her, the sweet melody easing the girl as her hands play with the pocket watch around her neck. A weird kind of sereness falls over the girl as she matches her own breathing with the peaceful breaths of the boy next to her with his light snores.

At the sound of a canon the boy from district 8 wakes up and he sighs in relief when he sees Thana unharmed. As Jack sits up he winces every now and then, but he waves it off.

"You okay?" Thana asks Jack as he sits next to her.

"Yeah, I am okay," a soft smile forms itself on his features. "You can take some rest, I'll wake you if anything calls for it, I promise." The boy says as he motions for the girl to take some rest, which she does. Thana curls herself up where Jack just slept and uses a bag for a pillow.

As Jack takes the second watch the silence takes over again and soft breaths of Thana fill the air. He smiles softly at the girl he is happy to call his ally in these horrible games. She was a little sunshine to him during the training and he loves how she seemed to shine in the yellow dress during the interviews. He knows he could only wish to stay friends forever, oh how he wishes they could have met before these games and not be stuck in them. They would have had so much fun, he is certain of it. He has never met anyone before with such a bright soul. But the odds were not in their favour, making them meet only a few weeks before one or both of them died.