→ 𝐈𝐕.𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐗

.

ACT IV
CHAPTER XLIX

the teasing of the 'start-crossed lovers'

LATIF AND THANA walk into the training room, about half an hour after it started

LATIF AND THANA walk into the training room, about half an hour after it started. There barely is anybody yet and there only trainers by hand-to-hand combat. In the distance, Thana sees that Finnick and Mags are softly talking to each other by the knotting stand, no regard for the other victors. Though only the careers and districts 3, 5, and 10 are all down. Thana expects the other to come casually late, so in about half an hour or just never showing up.

"In for a little match?" Latif asks, laying his hand on the little of Thana's back to direct her.

"A little?" Thana laughs, letting her brother lead her towards a stand that holds expensive looking wooden sticks, "I saw we go for it till at least district 12 have past us."

"Wanting to make a good impression?" Latif raises his eyebrows grinning.

"No," Thana looks around, making sure no one hears them, "we are going to intimidate them." Thana grins at her brother, "the other victors will be doing it as well."

"Please don't tell me Johanna's plan," Latif groans, "I am so happy I wasn't present yesterday." His sister laughs while he hands her a stick.

"Come on then," Thana runs up the steps, motioning for the trainer to leave the two alone.

...

When district 12 finally enters the space, Johanna is wrestling with a trainer naked. Districts 1 and 2 are either hitting bullseye or striking the trainers with great precision. Thana and Latif are both very sweaty having quick footwork and are almost dancing with each other. Grinning at each other as they feel the eyes of Peeta and Katniss, you could see a few red marks on the Jardin siblings, but the adrenaline made them numb to it.

"Move on to weapons?" Thana asks out of breath, letting her defence fall at the same time as Latif.

"Favourite weapons?" Latif asks his sister. Picking up a long sword for himself.

"I wouldn't say weapons if I didn't want my scimitars," Thana grins at Latif, picking up the rounder scimitars. "Come closer if you dare, little brother."

The siblings block out everyone as they go for another round. The metal clashing being a constant noise. A noise that gets broken once they hear hard clapping.

Thana and Latif look around to see Wiress, Nuts by Johanna, clap very loudly at what probably is Katniss who just shot apparently greatly. Not that Thana really cares about it. No, district 9 isn't planning to ally with district 12. Nobody wants to spend more time with Katniss then is necessary, except Peeta. No, it was quite set in stone that districts 7 and 9 would ally together, with a big chance of district 4 with them. An allyship they hope lives longer than the one of last year's games.

"I hope she doesn't think we want to ally with her now," Thana mutters to Latif as they get down so they can change stations and maybe talk to a few victors.

"The one doing so will get an early grave," Latif agrees with his sister, "she doesn't trust anyone and would kill you the second you close your eyes just so that she and her 'lover' can make it out again."

"Isn't that the truth," Thana smiles up at her brother, "shall we waste our time looking at plants?"

Latif grins at the suggestion, ever since he won and got into gardening, he had been educating, or annoying if you ask Thana, his sister about all the plants around. Thana only listened to him because of her passion for cooking and well, you need greenery for that.

"We shall definitely be wasting our time there," Latif laughs loudly, receiving a look from Peeta, "let's bother Finnick and Katniss at the knotting station."

Thana smiles sadly at her brother, "sounds like a plan," the girl pushing away her tears.

"I am Jack by the way, Jack Prescott."

"Thana, are you okay?" Latif asks as they reach the knotting station. Not caring that Katniss can hear them at all. "Thana?"

"Yeah, yeah, I am fine," Thana smiles weakly, "just lost in memories."

"I am sorry," Latif offers her a smile, "I should've known."

"It is alright," Thana gives her brother a weak smile, seeing the figure of Jack behind him. "It is just hard to be back at this station after everything?"

"After what?" Katniss asks curious, not getting the message Finnick had been sending her to leave the siblings alone.

"I met my ally here," Thana looks just right of Katniss, "he helped me with a knot and the rest is history."

"I am sorry," Katniss mutters, "I shouldn't have asked." But her mind races, Katniss didn't realise that these victors who look so happy could be tormented by the games this hard.

"Jack wouldn't want me to forget him," Thana smiles lightly at the youngest victor, "I am sure you are also having a hard time, missing your ally."

"I do, yeah," Katniss says, looking down at her nod so they can't see her tears. So, they don't know how much her own sister resemblances Rue.

"Lovely what these stupid games can do to your mind," Finnick grins, lightening the tension between the four victors. He squeezes Thana's hand softly, "I know you see him," he whispers to her, "I see some of them too."

Thana looks up at him and squeezes his hand while smiling sadly at the man.

...

That evening Rohan seems quite on edge, Thana eyes him curiously before speaking up.

"You've got a plan, don't you?" Thana squints her eyes slightly, not surprised by the reaction the man gives that signals that he indeed has a plan.

"Haymitch, a game maker and I have one," Rohan whisper to the girl. Not wanting that it gets all around. "Involves the rebellion."

"Of course," Thana nods, "I'll hear more about it later, right?"

"Yeah," Rohan nods his head. "On the roof just before the scores." He whispers the last part.

"Are we keeping Latif out of it?" Thana asks one eyebrow raised.

"I think it is best that he only knows that we intend to get you all out," Rohan puts the television off. "Goodnight, Thana, tomorrow is a busy day again."

"Goodnight Rohan," Thana nods politely at her mentor, leaving for her room. Thoughts about the plan roaming her mind. If they could get them out in time, it would mean she wouldn't have to lose everybody she cares about. But with a game maker involved, the chances are slim that they all can make it out, and she would rather she fell than any of her friends or Latif.