Chapter 3

{Paris}

Standing in front of the big doors leading into the Agreste Mansion, I realize not much has changed since the last time I was here when I was around 7 years old. The bodyguard that me and Adrien used to call "The Gorilla" drove us here from the train station. Someone opens the door for my mom who stays standing by the doorway before entering the mansion and going directly to my cousin, Adrien. I can hear her talking in her energetically sweet voice. "My, my! Look at how much you've grown!" she gives him a kiss on the cheek before continuing, "Gabriel, isn't he just the absolute cutest?"

"I'm sure Adrien is delighted to have such a timely visit from his aunt, today of all days." My uncle.

"Aunt Amélie?" Must be Adrien. His voice is a bit higher pitched than mine but you can hear the resemblance. Maybe he hasn't hit puberty yet.

"I'm so happy to see you again! I thought it'd be better if we were all together on a day like this. Don't you agree, dear?" probably referring to Adrien.

I hear an excited "Uh-huh," following her question.

The "Gorilla" moved a luggage cart that looks like it's from a hotel out of the way to show me by the doorway. I give my best annoyed/angry expression as I enter and the first thing that catches my eyes is a portrait at the top of the white stairs. The portrait shows my uncle and Adrien wearing dark clothing. Gabriel was wearing his usual attire but his dress shirt, vest, jacket, and pants were black. The tie he always wears was now black and grey instead of white and red. His face was as cold as stone -nothing out of the ordinary there. Adrien wore a plain grey shirt with a black, open dress shirt on top and black pants. His face showed sadness and hurt. In the painting, he looks like me. That is not the Adrien I remember.

"Félix?" And by the looks of it, it's not the Adrien I'm looking at. He has a bright expression on his face -the opposite of mine. I walk towards him and extend my hand for him to shake. I was not expecting a warm hug from him right away. A flash of shock passes by my face but I quickly change it back. "Good to see you again."

I cock an eyebrow at him and mother starts speaking again. "Aw! They look just like twins. Don't they Gabriel?" I look at Gabriel and Adrien looks at mother who looks at us. "Remember when they used to have so much fun pretending to be each other?" She looks at his brother-in-law. "Once they had you and Emilie fooled for a whole weekend." she starts laughing before continuing, "We laughed so hard!"

How could I forget that? We used to have a lot of fun before our families started drifting away. Before we lost a family member that we loved very much. Adrien and I had just watched The Parent Trap and had the idea of switching our clothes so we could "bother" aunt Emilie and her husband Gabriel. Eventually, we had to tell the truth or else we would have lost our video game privileges for two whole months. Me and Adrien laughed so hard at how clueless we had made them that we even cried and our stomachs started to hurt from all the laughing. It was one of the best things I remember from our time together. But I'm not that person anymore. That person might be gone for good.

"I won't be fooled a second time."

I decide to speak for the first time since I arrived. I put my hand out like I did with Adrien, "Hello, Uncle." He looks at my hand and I see his arms begin to stiffen. He knows what I plan to do.

Mother comes behind me and puts both of her hands on top of each of my shoulders. "Félix, you know your uncle's never been the physical sort!" her way of telling me it's her turn to try. She leaves my side to look at my uncle's hands behind him. "Oh! How sweet! You're still wearing your wedding band!" She straightens up and looks up at him since he is half a head taller. "You must have Emilie's too, I imagine. You never replied to my message about that. I'd like to get the rings back." she pokes his chest.

"These rings are obviously very special to me." Insensitive.

"And they're very dear to me, too, Gabriel." She argues back. "Those jewels have always been in the Graham de Vanily family, not the Agrestes!"

"We'll discuss it later. It's been a long journey from London." He looks at me. "You may want to rest a bit. Nathalie?"

The assistant's heels echo throughout the house. I can feel her presence behind me while I look at my mother whose face features tell me she tried to take the rings back with no effect. "Follow me, please." Mother takes one last look at me and Adrien before going around me, following Nathalie. The rest of us look at her. Gabriel with his serious face, Adrien looks confused like he does most of the time, and I have a small smile on my face. I will get the rings, promise.

My uncle looks down at me. That feels so wrong to say. "Take Félix to your bedroom."

"Yes, Father. Come on, Félix!" All I can do is put on my annoyed face while he's talking and leading me to his room. This might be a very boring day. I take one last glimpse at my cousin's father who is walking towards what I assume is his office before turning my attention back to Adrien.