Chapter 4

{Adrien's Room}

His room is pretty big, just like I remember. However, there was now a foosball machine and there were more books and video games in his "video game library." Though the basketball hoop is still there.

I stand in front of him with a serious expression and my hands behind my back. He has a basketball in his hands. He looks really excited. I almost regret the plan I made while we were going up the stairs. Almost.

"Do you remember our shooting contests?" he throws me the basketball with his two hands and I catch it with my left hand before throwing it backwards without a second thought. I hear the ball going through the hoop and rolling around the floor. Adrien looks shocked. His eyes are wide but his lips are in a straight line.

It reminds me of this scene in Frozen when the trolls think Kristoff and Anna are in love and try to marry them. The part where Kristoff tells the guy trolls that Anna is engaged and the trolls just look at him and blink twice. People would probably make fun of me if they knew I watched Frozen but it was only because Bridgette and Allegra made me. As well as Claude. He cried when Anna had completely frozen.

The basketball starts rolling by me from the impact of being thrown. Adrien's expression suddenly changes to a sorry expression. "I'm really sorry I didn't come to your dad's funeral. My father thought it would be too hard on me, considering... everything that's happened this year." Typical Gabriel, not letting his son go to his cousin's dad's funeral.

If you looked at a lost and sad puppy (well, maybe more of a kitten) in a cage outside in cold, hard rain, you'd see the connection between Adrien's face at times like these. When he's talking about his father having a "leash" on him that doesn't go past a couple feet. "You've every right to be mad at me." Is this what he thinks I'm serious about? He should really stop thinking that someone else's behavior has to do with something he did or didn't do.

"You always do what your father tells you to do?"

"He's very... protective of me." He gives a small smile. I smile back, half fake but it's a smile. I walk towards him and give him a hug. I can sense him smiling but he doesn't hug back. I imagine he's a bit shocked that I was the one to give the hug and not him. I put my fingers inside his front pocket to retrieve his phone and put it in my back pocket. I also sense a presence watching me but I ignore it.

I pull back from the hug but keep my left hand on his shoulder. "Oh! Do you have that chessboard we used to play with all the time?" We played for hours with that thing. He never was able to beat me but it was fun seeing him think he would win the next round. I retrieve my hand from his shoulder.

"Of course! Let me go upstairs and get it for us!" He turns around and sprints to the stairs.

"Well, I challenge you, so let the best man win!" I walk over to one of his cabinets and open it. Let's see what he hides in here. There are lots of different types of cheeses. Cheddar, Swiss, Camembert, Goat cheese, you name it. I grab a slice of goat cheese and smell it. It smells pretty bad.

"You still doing magic?"

I squish it a little. Looks like it's been maturing for about two weeks, perfect. I've had to learn a lot about cheeses because of Pest. He's still inside one of my suitcases, if he hasn't found the kitchen and I haven't seen him since our fight. I turn my head back slightly to respond in his direction even though he is still upstairs. "Now more than ever. You'll see!" Oh, yeah, he'll see. Most importantly, his father will see. I go to his bed and put the cheese under one of his pillows.

"How about karate? Still practising?"

I squish the cheese with the pillow. "Of course!" Walking towards the door leading to his bathroom I ask, "Mind if I take a shower?"

"No, go ahead. Make yourself at home!"