Chapter 7 - Dangerous

Angel sucked in a breath as he eyes stayed glued to him, not sure how or why he would be feeling like that, and she wasn't all too sure she wanted to fight it. She liked the thought of a hand that should be at the small of her back skimming and cupping her ass; or, the thought of a hand upon her shoulder moving to the back of the neck to grab it or even massage it. And all of those thoughts and feelings were dangerous.

They pulled up to the Ritz and he helped her out before giving the keys to the valet. And as he put his hand on her back, she smirked and whispered, "if your hand happens to wander downward to grab the ass, I won't object. Or, if you find you can't keep your hands to yourself, I won't frown upon it." He sucked in a breath as he heard that. Now, that was an open invitation.

They walked through the doors and his hand skimmed over her ass, causing him to smirk and her to gasp slightly. But, she couldn't ignore the sparks that she felt coming from that touch. Why did she open her mouth? Why did he seem to enjoy doing it? Wasn't he into Rosa?

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye and saw the smirk. Maybe, just maybe, he liked her; liked Angel, not Rosa? And maybe, just maybe, they could pretend that Rosa didn't exist. It wasn't like anyone had known about the contract, and it wasn't like him and Rosa had gone on many dates. So no one in their realm would know that Damian wasn't officially hers to date. She leaned closer to him as they walked through the doorway, already being stopped by her parents.

"Why, look at you two, you both look amazing. I'm glad Damian was able to fill in as your date," her mom said as she brushed a kiss over Angel's cheek. And as Angel pulled back, she watched her mother closely. Without a doubt, she knew her mom was up to something; Rosa not being here was not an accident. The question on the mind was why. Damian smiled in response to her mother and Angel smiled slightly.

Angel took the glass of champagne that was offered by her parents and followed them into the party area. She glanced around and then looked at Damian as he took a sip of his own drink. He glanced at her and lifted a brow, bringing a smile to her face. He brought his arm back around her and pulled her close to his side.

"In that dress, do you still have heat?"

"Always, but you will never see it." She looked around and then dropped her voice even more. "I have a gun in my bag and two knives on my thigh. I never go anywhere not ready. As it stands, this room is full of high end people, some are even enemies." He glanced down at her and then looked her over very slowly.

"Does blood stain your own hands?"

"More than my brothers and I've never batted a lash, that would be frowned upon." She winked at him and he, in turn, squeezed her ass, making her smirk. This, this was the type of person she could see herself coming home to, someone who could right her world when others forced it off axis. She wanted someone who could take her dark days and kiss them away and who could take her twisted days and make her smile. Yet again, she fought the longing for this man.

"Angel?" They both turned around and looked at the older gentleman walking their way. "You look ravishing, dear."

"Senator McMann, what a pleasure to see you." She brushed her lips across his cheek and then took Damian's arm. "Senator, let me introduce my date, Damian Russo."

"Pleasure Senator," Damian said, taking the older man's hand.

"Likewise. You have yourself a beautiful date." Damian looked at the woman by his side and smiled.

"I agree; she's quite stunning." Angel blushed slightly and hid her smile behind her glass.

"Senator, are you planning on donating?"

"Always Angel." He glanced up as someone called his name and bid a quick 'excuse me' and walked away.

"You know the Senator?" Angel's eyes glanced around again and nodded to Damian's question.

"He is in our pocket, we support him quite nicely."

"Ah." Damian glanced around as well, starting to pick up on some stares she was getting. "Care to dance?" Angel looked up at him and smiled.

"Sure." They set their glasses down and made their way to the dance floor, moving to the slow tempo. "You don't need to worry about them," she whispered to him.

"Who?"

"The men burning holes in my back; I'm aware of them."

"Won't they try something?"

"Even us ruthless scumbags have some morals. There are things we do and don't do. Hitting someone or taking them out will never be done in a setting like this, so open, so many eyes, so fancy."

"Bien. But I don't trust them." Angel looked up and into his eyes, getting lost in their depths. How sweet that he would want to take care of her, to protect her. It was something she wasn't used to, at least like that. Sure, she had her guards, but that was mandatory. She paid them to do that. This, this was his own choosing and there was comfort in that.

She ducked her head but not before she offered him a smile. He would only ever see a part of her world at Rosa's side, but would he want to see more? Would he be okay with more? Men didn't often like when women were in charge, not in her aspect, but would he be so against it? As if he felt her tense, he pulled her tighter against him and she had to smile. Being here, in his arms, felt right to her. This felt like she belonged and on top of that, she could feel herself staying right here, like this was home.