Chapter 9 - Her job

She leaned back in her office chair as she re-read the paperwork for the third time. She had managed to get a copy of the guest list for the party a couple days ago, but unfortunately, there were a few names unknown to her, even in the world she knew. And that was a problem for her. Those eyes she felt, she wasn't certain if it was for her, or for the man at her side; the man, that in a way, she was protecting. She tossed the papers back on her desk, frowning again.

If she wanted information on those names she didn't know, she was going to have to dig. And it wasn't that she minded, but that all took time too. She tapped her pen on her desk and then called her brother, waiting for him to pick up.

"Yes Angel?"

"I need you at my office, how fast can you be here?"

"Give me, about 30, is that okay?"

"That's fine."

"Do we need dad?"

"Ric, I am your Don now, no we do not fucking need him!" She clenched her teeth and hung up the phone. She knew she shouldn't get upset, but she hated to be questioned and on top of the last few days and the shit with the families, the last thing she needed was to be questioned about needing help; fuck, this was her job!

-----

35 minutes later, Ric walked in, looked at his sister and sighed as he took a seat. She stood up and walked over to him and he winced, half expecting her to knock the shit out of him.

"I'm sorry," he shouted! She crossed her arms as she leaned on the desk and gave him a pointed look. "I didn't mean to make it sound like you needed dad, just thought you might want this help. But dad told me about the meeting and I don't want you to think I don't respect you or feel you can't do this, sorrella (sister)!"

"Good." She slapped the back of his head and sat down next to him. "I will deal with the families, they should have known better."

"Yes, they should have. I take it you have a plan?"

"Don't I always?"

"Yes ma'am." They shared a smile and Angel nodded.

"The reason I called..."

"Business?"

" (yes). The night of the party, when we left, I felt eyes but as I glanced around, I saw no one. And you know how I trust those feelings." He nodded though he never had to. She reached over her desk and handed him the list. "My problem sits that I don't know if those eyes were for me, or Damian.

"This is a list of everyone that night. And as you can see by those highlights, I don't know those names. I need you to find out who they are and what they might be to us, or to him."

"I take it you have no leads on his threats?"

"Shit, Ric, I thought our enemies were long, theirs is worst. It will take time to narrow it down, to start weeding it out."

"I guess you will keep me busy?"

"I'm not dad, and I am your boss, so don't I always?" They both stood up and he kissed her cheek. Here, where they were no mafia, just two siblings, they could show their affection for each other.

"I am sorry, sorrella (sister)."

"I know you are, and I forgive you. It wasn't meant like how it sounded, but that didn't mean I didn't need to remind you." She gave him a hug and then shooed him out the door. One problem down, only 27 more to go.

-----

"Fancy meeting you here." Angel looked up as she walked out of the building and smiled at Damian.

"It is. What are you doing around here?" Damian pointed down the street.

"My friend needed help with something and his business is there. What about you, why are you leaving the building?"

"My office is on the top floor. With having so much under my belt, I have a centralized location. Plus, it keeps my parents out of my hair." They both laughed and Damian nodded.

"Is it too late for a night cap? I know a great bar not too far away."

"That sounds amazing." Angel glanced over her shoulder, seeing the car with two men and then turned her attention back to Damian. They talked about little things and once they reached the bar, he opened the door for her and let her walk in first, just like a proper gentleman. He led her over to a small side table and then got their drinks. And as he left, she watched him, she just couldn't help herself.

She knew, could feel, something between but she had no clue how to bring it up. She couldn't believe she felt alone like this. Her instincts were telling her this and if there was anything she had learned over time that it was to trust those feelings.

He placed the whiskey in front of her and she took a small sip, a smile touching her lips as a silent thank you. At least this was better than having a glass at home and alone.

"How old are you Angel?"

"28, actually my birthday is coming up soon."

"You don't look your age, hell you don't act it." She ran her finger over the lip of her glass as she shook her head.

"In this world, you are forced to grow up fast, idiocy and teenage mistakes aren't something one gets to experience, not the children of the Don. And those that would would be like Rosa. She will never have a role to fill, there will never be a need so she got away with a lot more."

"Would you want any other way?"

"Nessun (no), this role, it's not easy, you rule over your family, other families, the empire; it's not for the faint of heart. My brothers are good, and they know what to do if anything happened but full control, no.

"I have to be one step ahead of my enemies, I have to think outside the box, to be able to plan on the fly, and though times are quieter now, you have to be ruthless and that's not Gio nor Ric. On top of that, this job takes a lot out of you; it's never easy to kill anyone; rat, traitor or enemy, and I have done it all. I was always told you needed someone to lean on, because there are days when everything is just too much."

"But you have no one."

"No, and I will probably have my own arranged marriage, and it will probably be to strength some tie or so." Damian stared down at his drink and shook his head. No, he really didn't think he could stand for that. He took a long drink and then looked up at her, taking in her features.

To him, in some ways, it was a shame no one had captured this beauty. Oh, he saw the looks so he knew others wanted her, but they stayed away. And on that same token, he was thrilled because that meant he had a shot. And he was willing to try. Maybe not change the contract right away but at least start getting to know each other a bit more, maybe having a few unbeknown dates.

He swirled his liquor around and glanced back up at her, a smirk coming upon his lips. He would get advice from the one man who would tell him everything he needed to her; her dad.