Chapter 14 - List

Two days later, Angel was sitting at her desk, her fingers running over her lips, her thoughts still focused on what Damian had told her. Right after he had said that, she had taken him home and nothing more was said. But he had told her when, not if, they were together; when, so a promise. And Lord help her, that was a promise she was wanting him to keep!

And she had always thought that domineering men would be something she couldn't stand, that for her, she needed men to bow to her whim, not the other way around. But she wouldn't lie, his words, how they were spoken, had her body pinning for more, and soon. Now she was smart enough to know that it was only that man that brought that out, that no one else ever could or would. And deep down, a place where she didn't want to examine too closely, told her that made him special and made just for her.

She sighed and rubbed the throbbing at her temples. Not that it was Damian who was giving her a headache, but her own thoughts that kept swirling around and around. And she should know better than to dwell on those types of things, no use in thinking about them unless something came of it. And no matter what she hoped, or hell, what she longed for, nothing was going to be happening anytime soon.

Angel shook her head and then snapped her head up as someone knocked on her door. She smiled as she saw Ric there. "Well, this is a pleasant surprise."

"I thought so, after all, always seeing me is."

"Sure. What brings you by?" He sat down in one of the seats in front of the desk and sat the folder he was holding down on his lap.

"To talk. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just the start of a headache, you know how it goes."

"Are you still suffering from them?"

"Not like I used to; this one I think is all on me. Anyway, why are you here?" He lifted the folder and waved it.

"Your favorite brother got what you wanted." Angel folded her hands and rested them against her stomach as she leaned back in her chair, her eyebrow raised.

"You mean my underboss did what was asked of him?"

"Okay, yeah, that too." Angel chuckled and leaned forward as Ric walked around the desk and opened the folder. "Everyone that is highlighted green are people we know with no association to Damian. I'm talking no way to contact him, no mutual friends, no nothing."

"That's a lot of names and would make sense as he went as my date, so an unknown."

"Exactly. Everyone that is blue are people that may know him or at least of him. Through friends of friends, maybe country club golf buddies." She gave Ric a pointed look.

"You know he's not like that."

"I know, I'm merely saying the connection maybe brief and far so no real reason to be worried."

"Not too bad of a list either."

"No. Next, everyone orange is actually people who would have dealings with him, or his family. These are people who know him more than just a name basis." She looked it over and counted roughly 30 names.

"Shit, that's a lot! But he talked to no one that night."

"He wouldn't have a need to. This wasn't about him and he probably stayed more to the outskirts of the party." And he had actually. Or stayed by her side. And they didn't stay for the auction; it was after all an early night, so not like anyone saw him there. "What's worse is the pink. Every pink name is someone who had a strong dislike for Damian, for whatever reason. I had spent a lot of time researching these names and interviews they had done. Most of them are work related, either about how he pushed them out or how he low balled them on pricing." Angel counted those and there was about 40 highlights.

"God damn it, I can't send out 40 men to watch these guys to make sure they aren't behind it. And I know someone is because I was there those nights."

"But nothing has been said about anything more happening, right?"

"No. The men are watching both parents and family and really nothing seems to have happened. Of course, that's always a YET."

"We both know that they will probably wait till they think we have let our guard down." Angel nodded her head in agreement; that normally seemed to be their case.

"What's with the yellow highlights?" She looked at the sheet and then up at him, surprised by how many of those there were. "That's a lot."

"Yeah, those," he paused, took a deep breath and looked at her, "those are for you."

"For me, what?"

"People who dislike you." She stared at him for a moment and then turned her eyes back to the list, looking over some of them.

"Well, as I can see a lot are families, which would be a given. And many who would be sending me death glares, but most would be too stupid to do anything."

"Are you sure about that?"

"God yes! Most don't even have the back bone to step up to me, many will glare from a distance, but many also know that crossing the family wouldn't be wise.

"If you take me out, you, Ric, would be next in line, and you would hold a grudge, not just as your sister but for your Don. Your wrath would be swift, deadly and precise. And so they would have the wrath of my father, as well, so no, I know they wouldn't stand up. May talk and voice their concern and try to think they are brave, but that would be it."

"Has anyone told you, cara sorella (dear sister), that you have a hard shell?" Angel smirked as she looked at her brother.

"More often than you would think and believe me, I find no problem with that." Ric laughed and moved back to the chair.

"So, any thoughts?" Angel crossed her legs and leaned back in the chair again.

"A few, it just might mean getting someone on board who never does anything with us and might mean someone, or a few someone's, may not like it."

"You mean i nostri genitori (our parents)?"

"Yes. I need our baby brother's skills. He can hack into any system better than anyone else and can follow people without them ever knowing." Ric let out a low whistle.

"Well, you can tell mom and dad that you are dragging their baby boy into the family business and I'll step up my 'being in charge' skills because we both know they will kill you." They shared a laugh, but sadly, it wasn't far from the truth. Their parents never wanted their two babies in this world and computer stuff, even though it was safer than being on the streets, it was still very dangerous if he was to get caught.