Chapter 1 ~ Long before

3rd person POV-
Keith's father died when he was 7 and he's been staying in foster homes since then, he's 9 now and already on his 8th foster home in 2 years. Most family's send him back to the orphanage due to his behavioral issues. In this foster home there where 2 other boys that where 13 and 4 and a girl the same age as Keith. Everyone here was nice to Keith but Lana was the nicest to him, maybe it was because they where the same age but they were very close. 

One day Keith and Lana where playing dress up in Lana's room, she handed Keith one of her favorite princess dresses and Keith put it on. He thought that he would feel weird wearing a princess dress because he was a boy but he didn't feel weird at all, in fact he felt amazing twirling around in the pick puffy princess dress. 

(The dress Keith was wearing)

(The dress Lana was wearing)

Keith and Lana continued to twirl around and play princess games all afternoon, when it was time for Keith to take off the dress he felt sad and as soon as he was back in his regular clothes he felt less like himself and more like a stranger

Keith and Lana continued to twirl around and play princess games all afternoon, when it was time for Keith to take off the dress he felt sad and as soon as he was back in his regular clothes he felt less like himself and more like a stranger. Keith headed back to his room and laid down on his bed sighing to himself, why did he like wearing the princess dress it's for girls not boys. He felt a stream of tears rolling down his face, he was so confused why did he feel more like himself when he looked like a girl. That's when it hit him, he'd heard about this kind of thing in class boys wanting to be girls and girls wanting to be boys. That's what he wanted, he wanted to be a girl just like Lana. He pulled the laptop that his foster parents gave him for school work form under his bed and Googled "How to know if I want to be a girl" "Is it ok to be a boy who wants to be a girl", once he'd finished Googling all about boys who want to be girls he was sure that's what he wanted. 

For the next few weeks Keith and Lana would play princesses every day after school until there foster parents came home from work. Playing  princesses with Lana was the only time Keith felt like himself, he asked Lana if he could borrow the pink princess dress he wore every time they played princesses of course Keith being her best friend she let him borrow the dress as long as he pinky promised to give it back soon. Keith took the princess dress back to his room and pulled out his diary, he would right in it as a way of talking to his dad and he couldn't wait to tell his dad about the dress he borrowed form Lana. 

Keith's Diary entry - 

Dear diary / dad - 

Today I was playing princesses with Lana again, I guess this foster home is better than the last one because there are people to play with here. She let me borrow that pretty pink princess dress that I like so much, the one I wear every time we play princesses. I've decided that I want to be a girl just like Lana so of course I needed to borrow the pretty dress. Other than Lana letting me borrow the pretty dress my day was really rubbish, the people at school were mean to me again and we had the same dinner as last night which was very very gross. Tomorrow is a Saturday so I can wear the pretty dress all day and twirl around in my room like a princess. 

I miss you daddy, I'll write again soon. love you 

Keith. ❤❤

*End of diary entry*

Keith closed his diary and hung up the dress in his wardrobe and changed into some cozy PJ's and curled up in his bed snuggling his hippo teddy close. His dreams were full of him twirling around and dancing in a huge castle with the prettiest dress he's ever seen. 

(Word count - 737)