Chapter 7 ~ The truth can be freeing or not

Shiro had hardly gotten any sleep he was anxious about how Keith telling the team would go, he just hoped for Keith's sake that it went well. Everyone was at the table talking whilst eating the breakfast hunk had prepared when pidge and Shiro noticed Keith give them both a glance. Shiro who was sat next to Keith put his hand on Keith's leg and gave a gentle squeeze to let him know he was right there with him and pidge who was sat across from Keith gave a subtle thumbs up that only Keith noticed.

Keith braced himself in his chair and gave them both one more quick glance before getting the attention of the rest of the paladins and Coran and allura who both sat at opposite ends of the table. Keith stood on shaking legs and began to talk

Keith- Guys there's something I want to talk to you about and I'm not really sure where to start or how to say this so here goes ....

There was a slight pause in which all that could be heard was the sudden quickness of Keith's breathing and the shallow breaths of the others.

Shiro whispers quietly to Keith- You got this bud, you can do it. Take a deep breath and just go for it.

Keith did as Shiro said after a second of contemplating if this was a good idea after all, but he'd come this far he had to do it now otherwise he might never do it and he's tired of living a lie.

Keith- I'm trans, like I don't want to be a boy I want to be a girl.

Keith was never good at trusting in anything really but when there was silence after big news it was never good or so he believed. With that being said Keith was a rambling mess too afraid that if the rambling stoped it would give someone time to hurt him.

Shiro- Keith bud your rambling, it's ok just breath you did it ok and I'm so proud of you so just take a deep breath and let the others process for a second ok ?

Keith- O... ok Shiro ...

Allura was the first to speak up, which surprised Keith as he had always figured she hated him.

Allura- Keith I'm so glad you felt safe enough to tell us and that you trusted us enough. I promise that I'll do anything I can to help, I'm sure the others feel the same.

Pidge- I knew you could do it buddy, I'm proud of you.

Hunk- I had no idea but honestly thank you for allowing us to see this part of you, I can imagine how hard this was for you.

Coran- I'm very proud of you number 4 I'm honoured that you would share this with us. I too will help any way I can.

Keith- Thanks guys it means a lot...

Shiro- Lance your very quiet how come ?

🚨⚠️ Transphobia starts ⚠️🚨

Lance- I can't believe that you guys are ok with this I mean what the hell does he mean he wants to be a girl. It's weird is all I mean what sort of sick person thinks like that .. like honestly it's disgusting.....

🚨⚠️ Transphobia Ends ⚠️🚨

Shiro- THAT'S ENOUGH LANCE, I think you should go to your room before you say anything else hurtful.

Everyone's eyes darted to where Keith was sat and they saw him quickly get up from his chair but before he could make it to the doors they caught him in a group hug and saw the tears rolling down his cheeks. Hunk tried to lighten the mood by telling Keith he had so many questions if Keith was feeling up to it.

Hunk- Do you want us to call you she know ?

Keith- No, I want to transition before I go by she I don't really want to associate looking like this with being uno "female" .

Hunk- Oh ok, yeah that makes sense but when are you planning on starting your transition then ?

Keith- I haven't really thought about it, I mean we are in a war so it's not like I can start it any time soon.

Allura- When ever your ready Keith we can start looking into ways for you to start your transition. I meant what I said about helping, we will do what we can.

Sure it hurt Keith that lance could be so cruel, he thought if anyone was going to support him it would be lance but it was the complete opposite and although he'll never admit it he was really hurt by what lance had said. All that aside he was glad that he had the rest of his friends support and that they all still loved him just the same. He realised in that moment that now one day he really can be a she, now all they have to do is find away to start the transition in the middle of a space war but hey he had people supporting him now and for now that was good enough.

(Word count ~ 851)