Chapter 8

Volleyball tryouts took place directly after school, and to prevent any suspicion from her brother or mom, Ahsoka had already told Shmi and Anakin repeatedly that she was going over to Koska's house. She packed a change of long sleeved clothes and athletic leggings, as well as tennis shoes instead of her regular knee-high boots. As she hurried out the door, Ahsoka shoved a headband into the side pocket of her backpack, ignoring Anakin's confused look as she shut the door and walked to school. 

She hadn't told the girls that she was trying out for the volleyball team, only Rex. As they walked towards the gates, they were stopped by Leia and a boy with messy dark brown hair. He had a white shirt and a black vest on overtop as well as blue pants marked with red dashes on the sides. "Hi, Ahsoka!" Leia said brightly. The two girls were getting along well, despite doubts Ahsoka had when meeting Leia.

"Hi Leia," Ahsoka replied, just as happily. "Who's this?"

"This is my boyfriend, Han Solo," Leia replied, nodding to the boy beside her. "He's a scoundrel." Han rolled his eyes at her, obviously used to the nickname.

"Well then, princess," Han began and Ahsoka decided it was best to leave the two to argue by themselves. She dragged Rex along and paced nervously in a corner until the bell rang loudly. 

"It'll be fine, Soka," Rex promised as he pulled her in for a quick kiss on the cheek. "Good luck." With that, he walked into the building and disappeared into the group of people crowding and shoving their way into the school. 

Okay. she thought. I can do this. I can do this. She repeated the mantra over and over in her brain as she walked into the building quickly. The school day seemed to drag on as she bit her lip in anticipation of the tryouts in math. As the bell rang, Ahsoka changed into her spare pair of clothes and placed her braids behind the blue and white headband and walked to the gym. The coach was a woman named Luminara Unduli. Luminara had chin-length black hair that was tucked under a black cap and she wore a pale green shirt and black pants. The oddest thing about Luminara was the diamond tattoos she had on her face that were underneath her chin in three straight rows. 

A group of were girls clustered in the center of the room, not really talking, but not ignoring completely. Two stood out to her: a girl with bright violet hair dressed in a dark grey-violet long-sleeved shirt and blue pants with blue shoes. The girl also wore her hair in two long pigtails with a gold headband. 

The second was a girl dressed in all black with wavy red hair that was surprisingly a natural color and was nearly purple, it was so red. She had blue-grey eyes and a cold stare that cast around the room. There were others as well, but not as noticeable. 

Two girls, most likely siblings, with black hair that went to their shoulders. Ahsoka heard someone called them Rose and Paige with a last name that sounded a bit like Tico. Another with brown hair that was tied back in a ponytail with bangs. 

"Listen up, ladies!" yelled Luminara from across the room. "I see a few familiar faces, so not so familiar, but go around and tell us who you are so I can assemble a list of who'll be on the team. Start." The red haired girl started. 

"Mara Jade." she stated drily and then nodded to the violet-haired teenager. 

"Riyo Chuchi."

Rose and Paige went next, Rose first and then Paige. A girl with black hair in different pieces separated by gold bands introduced herself as Satele Shan. The person with brown hair in the ponytail with bangs was Qi'ra and she apparently didn't have a last name. Several other names flew around the room. Stass Allie. Kaydel Connix. Korr Sella. Avar Kriss. Ciena Ree. 

Ahsoka called out her name nervously, hoping her voice didn't break as she did so. Luminara nodded and then looked around at the crowd. Stass Allie had white-blonde hair divided into different parts with a brown headband while Kaydel Connix had pale brown hair in twin buns that were close to the back of her head. Korr Sella had dark skin and dark brown hair that was pulled back into a low bun below her hairline and Avar Kriss had shoulder-length blonde hair that was stringy and fluttered slightly. Ciena Ree had curly dark brown hair and was dressed in all black with a smirk on her face.