Chaoter 25 ~ Orphanage...

The bell rings allowing me to rush out the classroom, anxious to get this over and done with.

I avoided eye contact with Peter the whole lesson, even though he wouldn't turn his gaze away from me. Unfortunately, his locker is right next to mine, meaning I'm most likely going to have to acknowledge him.

I get there before him and try to empty everything out my bag before he gets there, but as I shut the door and turn to walk away, I come face to face with a pair of brown eyes.

Instantly knowing who owns them, I turn my eyes to the floor, "Peter, I need to go. Happy's waiting for me..." I level as I step out to the side and start to walk but he quickly catches up to me.

"Let me come with you. I can make sure you're ok then." He says, care obvious in his voice.I roll my eyes and push the door open, sliding through quickly so it doesn't hit me.

I hear it swing open again and see Peters body appear next to mine once again, "Listen, Peter. I didn't tell you about my situation so you could pity, I told you because I was vulnerable. If you could try to forget about it I would appreciate that." I say, lying about wanting him to forget.

"I'm not going to forget about that! This is a serious matter and I don't want you to get hurt!" His voice raises slightly as if it's going to make me give in.

I laugh at his overprotectiveness, "I don't understand why you care so much, Peter. Just go talk to Liz, she'll appreciate it more." I spit back, unable to hide the jealousy in my tone.

He shakes his head whilst laughing, "I like you Hope! Not Liz. Why don't you understand that." He says, standing infront of me as his brown eyes bore into my green ones. "And I don't want to see you hurt, ever." He continues, his voice soft and calm.

My mouth opens slightly in surprise as I take in the look on his face. It's filled with concern and worry, like he really wants to keep me safe. But he can't. If anything, he needs to keep himself safe, from me.

"I- I have to go." I say, my voice barely reaching above a whisper. Peter grabs my arm gently, turning me back to face him. My heart breaks slightly at the look he gives me. Desperate for me to say something.

"Hope, please..." he says, a final attempt to stop me from doing this alone. As much as I want to open up and let him in, I can't. I never do.

I feel tears begin to prick the back of my eyes so I slide my arm away from his and run to the car. I feel so pathetic for wanting to cry, I just don't understand how everything's change so quickly. I'm scared...

~ Orphanage ~

"I'll wait in the car, take as much time as needed." Happy says with a smile as I slide across the black leather seats.

"Thanks Happy." I say hiding the fact I'm scared half to death about what's going to happen when I walk through that door.

I slowly push the door open, my heart beginning to thump faster and faster. I see Mrs Bernadine, hunched over in her chair, rocking in time with the clock. As the floorboard squeaks under me, I see Mrs Bernadine shoot her head towards you.

A frown appears in the middle of her shrivelled face, her feet storming towards me one by one, "You. I was waiting for you to get back here so that I could show you what you deserve." She shouts, pure anger in her voice.

Before she gets too close to me, I shove the forms in front of her face while squeezing my eyes shut, scared for what was happening next. "Does this mean I'm officially getting rid of you?" She asks, the stomping coming to a halt as she takes the time to read the form.

I nod ever so slightly which leads to a smile forming on her face, "Give me those forms! And go do something, I don't want your pathetic self near me." She smile while stomping over to her study.

I run up the stairs to honeys room and see her sitting calmly on the bed. Her face lights up along with mine when she notices me in the doorway, "Hopey! What are you doing here?" She screams, her high pitched voice piercing me ears.

Honey runs up to me and hugs me tightly. I squeeze her firmly back, laughing at her enthusiasm, "I told you I would visit! How have you been?" I say a sense of pure happiness filling my body.

We sit on the bed cuddling as she tells me about everything. She talks to me about school and all the new things she's learnt and all the friends she's made. She then talks about how Mrs Bernadine has been making her cook her own food with the help of another round boy.

I frown at this, but the way she says it makes it seem like she's actually enjoying doing it. "How's it like in your new home?" She asks sweetly, her big brown eyes staring into mine.

"It's lovely there, I'll have to take you some day." I say, a feeling of guilt filling my soul.

"Yay! I would love that." She says excitably. I smile before I hear Mrs Bernadine scream my name.

"I have to go now Honey... I promise I will visit you. If Mrs Bernadine lays a hand on you, tell me, ok?" She nods innocently leading me to smile and plant a kiss on her forehead. I run down the stairs grabbing the papers quickly, ready to leave.

"I hope you get what you deserve someday, child. What I did to you didn't even scrape the surface." She sneers, a look of pure hate overtaking her face.

I roll my eyes and slam the door before she can say anything else, leaving her behind. I repeat Peters words in my head, reminding myself it's not my fault.

I take a deep breath, taking one last look at the orphanage before turning to the car. I walk over and slide in the back, a soft smile settling on my face.