16

I barely had any time to react as the boy charged over to our small group, sword in hand, "Elsie, to the beach, now!" I yelled at her. She didn't argue, picking up her pack and sprinting as fast as she could towards the ocean. I knew we wouldn't make it very far, the girl from Six in hysterics and the boy with the inability to move very fast. I took them both by the hand and sprinted as fast as I could through the trees.

The boy began to slow down as we ran through the east side of the island, Clovis was catching up. I was so frustrated I felt like crying, instead, I let out a noise that was in between a wheeze and a cough and continued to run. The girl from Six detached herself from me and ran to help the boy, running back to help him through the trees, I gripped my trident and ran towards them. Clovis wouldn't show them any mercy, why should I show any to him.

I was too late.

The boy from One reached them before I could, sending his sword straight through the stomach of the girl and bringing it up to the throat of the boy from Six. I choked out a strangled cry as the canon blew for the girl. "I'll give you one chance, Four," He snarled, pressing the blade closer to the boy's throat, I could see blood trickling down his neck from the pressure. "I don't want to have to kill you as well, join me and I'll spare your friend here as well,"

He wasn't going to keep that promise, he was sadistic, he would do anything to win. I scored higher than him in training, either he was using me as protection from Viva and Tiberius or he was going to kill me in his sleep. The boy didn't cry, he didn't say anything, he merely gave a slight shake of his head, don't do it.

I didn't get the time to decide as his body fell to the ground as the cannon went off, "Wrong choice," Clovis laughed, wiping his sword of blood and shuffling closer toward me. I went through everything I knew about him, everything Thorn had observed from his technique.

The night at dinner time, Finnick and Thorn had their little spat, "I learnt that Clovis is good with a sword, but won't be able to take anyone on if he's not of flat ground or if his left hand is damaged" Suddenly I found myself running at him with full force. I ducked under his left side, making a cut on the back of his hand with the sharp end of my trident.

He let out a hiss of pain, dropping the sword from his right hand and clutching his left, I could see blood dripping from his palm. Kill him, kill him, kill him. I would be taking down one of my biggest threats in the arena, but the thought made me want to throw up, I couldn't kill anyone, no matter how vile and disgusting they were. I gripped my weapon so tightly I was afraid I might bend it in half. "Weak," He spat, picking up his sword, He mocked.

Kill him, kill him, kill him.

"You're just as pathetic as Thorn, a Career not knowing how to fight with a weapon? Well, you can wield one at least, He taunted, circling around me like a predator to prey.

Kill, kill, kill.

"No wonder you teamed up with those wimps from Twelve..." He continued, I didn't let him finish his sentence as I lunged at him, knocking him to the ground and pointing my trident at his neck.

"Finish that sentence, I dare you," I hissed, the Capitol love their badass one-liners, I'm sure they'll be eating that one right up. Clovis let out a deranged laugh, the games hand turned him from a greasy slimeball of a human to an animalistic sociopath, what would they do to me?

"Clearly all I have to do is fuel the fire," He mused, "Come on Rory, you gonna kill me?" He pouted, using a sing-song voice. I didn't get the pleasure, perhaps the Capitol didn't want the best competition dying so early. A loud cackled sounded from the surrounding trees, causing me to jump back in fright. Out of the jungled leapt a creature with wild eyes and gnashing teeth, my stomach dropped in terror.