40

Finnick and I were tangled in each other's limbs the morning following the parade, neither of us and the will to move, particularly considering the rigorous training routine that both Reign and Haymitch had us working around. Our costumes from the previous night were strewn all over the floor, following the night's events and I couldn't help but smile at the memory. "What are you smiling at down there?" Finnick asked me, causing me to jolt with fright.

"How even when I know you're right there do you manage to scare me?" I groaned, burying my head into his chest. Finnick laughed at my misfortune and the two of us fell into a comfortable silence.

The silence was shortly disrupted by overwhelming nausea, I had been feeling it stronger recently and had initially thought it was anxiety- a trauma response to what was still yet to occur. Suddenly, I was hunched over the toilet again, with Finnick beside me holding the hair out of my face.

It became clear to me that I was severely unwell.

I'd woken up already exhausted, feeling more ill than I had in the past week, Finnick had tried his best to take care of me as I tried my best to fight the nausea. He placed a cool hand on my forehead, his eyebrows furrowed in concern as he said, "You're far too feverish to go to training this morning, I'll stay with you,"

Everyone already knew of our closeness, if he stayed, I would be considered a weakness to him. If I stayed, I'd be considered weak. I shook my head and pushed myself up into a seated position, attempting to swallow the bile in my throat, "No, no way," I told him tiredly, "You go down, I'll meet you there soon," I instructed him. He opened his mouth to reply, but I raised my eyebrow challengingly, "Go- I love you," I told him, cupping his cheek with my hand.

He leaned down to kiss me, "My breath is gross," I warned him, leaning away.

"You're my fiancée and I love you- I don't care," He responded casually, pressing his lips to mine gently in a closed-mouth kiss. "Annie's just outside, she'll make sure that you're resting," I wasn't going to rest; he knew that as well as I did, not with everything including our lives at stake. But never-the-less, he kissed me on my forehead and left me in the bathroom.

When I arrived, Johanna was pulling a robe over her naked body. I could see poor Katniss in the corner trying her hardest to look at the wall, funnily enough, Lorelei was beside her, doing the same. I decided to leave them be, if Katniss could feel comfortable around Lorelei, perhaps she would feel comfortable around the rest of us.

Finnick was standing with Atlas, both eyeing me with concern, their arms folded, and eyebrows raised. I rolled my eyes and looked around the room before spotting my target.

Peeta. Standing by the spear section and talking stiffly with Brutus and Enobaria. I pursed my lips, immediately sensing a catastrophe about to strike. I walked over to the group with determination, listening to Haymitch's voice in my head.

I promised Katniss someone would protect him; I want that to be you- Little Pearl.

The preparing rebels met last night, alongside Heavensbee and a small group of Capitol members with similar ideology. Heavensbee's main target was Katniss, from there, anyone they could reach would be extracted from the games. In short, the rebels were to stay close to Katniss, and the rest would follow.

"Hey guys," I smiled casually, Peeta greeted me with an awkward smile whereas the other two glared in my direction. "So, baker boy, I've heard you good with a paintbrush," I broke the uncomfortable silence. He was more than good; with the right facilities, he could be amazing. "It so happens, painting is my talent also, come on, let's go check the camouflage station!" I exclaimed overly enthusiastically, grabbing his hand, and dragging him away from the District Two tributes.