39

"Can I get less mermaid, more Mer-princess please?" Gaia groaned as Titan continued working on my makeup.

We'd arrived off the train three hours ago, in that time, I had been scrubbed and plucked and groomed to 'as close as perfection that Gaia can give you'. Annie had been little comfort to me, giggling every time I swore aloud. Between Finnick and I, we only had one prep team, mostly because Gaia refused to let us through any of the other team's hands. Finnick lay beside me, complaining as much- if not more- than I did.

Finnick howled in pain as Venus ripped a strip of wax from his chest, "Poor Finnie," I teased him, trying to ignore the pain on my own angry red flesh, "He worked really hard on growing that singular chest hair," The group laughed at the comment but continued bustling around the room busily.

"As my almost-wife, you should at least act like you love me, you know that?" He turned his head to the side, glaring at me in annoyance.

"As my almost-husband, you should show me the respect of not eating my last macaroon," I shot back.

"I've known you both for a very long time and yet you haven't grown at all, how are the two of you successful adults?" Gaia rolled her eyes; a final yelp came from Finnick as the last of his body was waxed bare.

"Successful could be an overstatement," The voice of Reign called from the back of the room, followed by a raspberry noise from Finnick and a string of profanities from me.

I liked how light-hearted the prep team were trying to make the experience, especially given the experiences we were about to face. Particularly the pressure of trying to protect the most stubborn, antisocial victor in all Panem and her equally as rebellious partner. I had told Finnick about the escape plan, much like me, he shared little enthusiasm about our role in it. Essentially, we would be playing parents, the entire game, while also upholding the personas that would give us sponsors.

My persona had unfortunately evolved against my wishes.

Finnick's outfit and mine were required to match for the parade, his advantage in the popularity and appearance department meant that my costume would be modelled on his. Unfortunately for both of us, Finnick's costume could hardly count as clothing at all. This meant I was sure to be dressed just as scandalously clad as my partner, but Finnick wasn't aware of that yet.

"And our boy is ready, send him to get dressed and cause shenanigans while we finish off Aurora's final touches," Gaia ordered. Finnick nodded in compliance, leaning down to give me a peck on the lips, but Gaia stopped him with a slap on the head, "Don't you dare! You'll ruin her lipstick!"

Finnick rolled his eyes but resisted the temptation to break the rules, "Later then," he said flirtatiously, his breath fanning my lips before he walked out of the room with Reign.

Gaia cackled maniacally as he left, "Oh, believe me," She began, examining the work her prep team had put into my appearance, "When he sees the outfit, I'm putting you in, you'll be getting more than just a kiss, I assure you,"

"Gaia!" Venus scolded the stylist.

I was beyond terrified of whatever Gaia had planned for us, evidently, it would involve minimal fabric, something I was immediately uncomfortable with. Examining the eye paints over the table, I noticed the colour scheme, gold, white and just a hit of blue. White and blue I could handle, but still, I knew I would hate whatever Gaia put me in.

No matter how much Finnick loved it.

The time had come for me to put on the dress, "Eyes closed, you know the drill," Titan instructed me calmly. I complied and felt the undergarments slide onto my body. At least, everything was adequately covered by them, no matter what the dress looked like, I felt safe knowing that. The next thing they placed on my body was freezing cold, it felt metallic, which once again filled me with sheer dread. Once the costume was finally on, Venus began putting my shoes on, they were platformed, that much I could feel but the fact I felt like I could barely stand.