30

The train rattled along the train as the sky grew to a pinkish colour, I had directed Annie to her room soon after we entered the train carriage. She had asked me to stay with her until she fell asleep, I obliged, guarding the girl as she cried. Her eyes had only shut a few minutes before I stumbled through the train, I found Finnick in his carriage, filing through a stack of letters.

"How many?" I asked him, sitting to the right of him on his bed.

Finnick looked out the window, to the painting, anywhere but me. "14, not as many as last year, but still enough to make me feel guilty," He responded, the tone in his voice made it sound as if he had a lump in his throat.

I had been uncomfortable with the arrangement when Finnick officially asked me to be his girlfriend, but I would never direct the disdain at the man sitting beside me. It was never his fault, all our hurt seemed to direct back to one man. Finnick had told me things about him, enough to relieve him of his throne, but we had to wait, for the right opportunity whenever that may arrive.

"I love you," I told the man beside me sincerely, Finnick said nothing, instead he nodded his head and kissed my temple before taking my hand and leading me through the train carriages. We reached the dining compartment where Pluto was picking at a plate of food, his eyes flicked up at us before flicking back down to his plate uncomfortably.

"Let's see the first impressions, shall we?" Sylvia exclaimed, flicking on the television, the three of us gathered around to watch. Coming in number one was the boy from 2, Horace I think his name was, he was a strong kid, the same age as Pluto but so much bulkier than the rather lanky boy sitting on the couch. Pluto had enough muscle from his training, but it was clear he was a naturally skinny kid.

"And coming in equal second, we have the two from District 4, the enchantingly beautiful Annie Cresta and Pluto Portello, mentored by the even more enchantingly beautiful Aurora Hartley and Finnick Odair. My, my, what do they put in that District 4 water, am I right ladies and gentlemen!" The crowd could be heard cheering at Caesar's words.

"Second in first impressions!" Sylvia cheered excitedly; a smile fell onto my face as Finnick rubbed Pluto's shoulders encouragingly. A small smirk decorated the tribute's face as he looked up at his mentor.

"We can work with that," Finnick acknowledged as Sylvia invited us around the table for dinner. For the remainder of the meal, I was silent, Pluto and Finnick talked strategy together, Sylvia interrupted occasionally. I could not bring myself to look at Pluto, it was as if he were some combination of Clovis, Thorn and Sage, I had killed two of the three, I had been responsible for the death of the other. Pluto wanted little to do with me as well, which worked in my favour.

About ten minutes in a roll of the down and a shuffle came from behind me, my head snapped around to find a rather bedraggled looking Annie. "Hey Annie," Finnick smiled at the girl.

"Hello Finnick, hello Aurora," She greeted us with a nervous squeak.

"Hey, An, did you rest ok?" I stood up directing her over to the table. I glared at Pluto, and he begrudgingly pulled a chair out for the girl.

"The beds are squishy," She complained with a giggled, I smiled at her statement as she filled up a plate of food. We allowed the girl to dig into her meal as we continued conversing, I noticed Pluto's eyes flicking in her direction several times, I wasn't sure if he was studying her or making sure she was ok.

"Annie, did you see, you and Pluto got marked second for first impressions!" Sylvia smiled at the girl.

Annie swallowed another mouthful nodding her head, her eyes snapped to Pluto with a short smile, "That's lucky for you- maybe you'll get out of there faster," Annie told him casually, taking another bite of her food.