Chapter 1:

A S P E N    W I L S O N
»»————-  ————-««

I had one day.

One day before I'd leave my hometown and everything I knew to go live with my birth giver.

The thought of going and living with the same person who shattered our once picture perfect family made me sick to my stomach.

Maybe when I see their faces I'll actually puke this ickiness I keep pushing down all over them. That would be funny.

Ever since Alejandro Patterson told me a week ago that we had six days to pack my stuff and for him to transfer my records before I needed to be on a plane, I'd been a mess.

My sanity was running on an abnormal amount of coffee, five hours of sleep a day at most, and the letter my dad left behind with his will.

His letter was the only reason I hadn't dropped everything and ran away into hiding to avoid seeing my mother.

His letter wasn't short but I'd spent so much time reading it that I had it memorized.

My little butterfly,

I know you might hate me for this, so I want to start with telling you it's okay. I understand.  I know how much you resent your mother because of me even though you used to love her to the moon and back once. I wish things wouldn't have turned out the way they did and so I'm telling you now, I want things to be fixed between you. I tried to be as good a father as I could be, but even I know that every little girl needs her mother the most. I hope you can find it somewhere in your heart to forgive your mother like I have. She was my first love, my last, and if I could meet her for the first time again and start over despite knowing what will happen, I would still choose her. After all, she gave me you. How could I hate the being that gifted me with the biggest gem in my life? You need this. You need answers so you can heal, my beautiful little girl. I love you. And you're not allowed to date anyone until you're 32 even after I'm gone. I love you.

Sincerely ,
Your handsome, gorgeous, wonderful Dad.

I think half the reason why I was so messed up this past week was because of the letter itself.

How could he just forgive that woman? And want me to do the same?

But my dad was right about one thing and that was getting answers.

For him, for myself, and for an ending to this dreadful chapter in our life. We'd never gotten the answers five years ago. When we separated, many things had been left a question mark.

Too many things.

It's all going to be okay, I tell myself this over and over again as Alejandro takes me to the airport even though it was the last thing I believed.

We come to the front of the airport in Omaha in no time. Everything was moving so fast, too fast. It seemed like just a minute ago that Mrs. Arian was sobbing while giving me cookies and saying goodbye.

Inside, I don't focus on anything as Alejandro goes through the necessary procedures for me to be able to get on my flight.

One minute he's talking with a guy about my luggage, the next minute we're being patted down by security, and then I was leaving a waving Alejandro behind as I walked alone to my plane.