Chapter 40:

A S P E N W I L S O N
»»————-  ————-««

Even with my mother's loud crying, there seemed to be a thick silence hanging in the air.

Now might not be the best time to laugh.

Levi had his head in his hands and April was comforting her mom, rubbing her back and offering her a glass of water. I just stood awkwardly in the middle of the room, looking in between everyone.

"Melissa, baby—"

"Stop!" She screeches, scooting away from Levi who had inched closer. "Don't come near me."

"I-I can explain." His voice wobbles as he tries to pathetically string a lie together.

"No."

I snap my eyes up at April, who was in front of her mom, blocking her from Levi's eyes while glaring him down. Levi's jaw clenches.

"April, go to your room. This is between your mother and I. Take Aspen too. Go."

"Oh, hell no." I scoff before plopping down into the sofa in front of the one they were on. "I'm watching this shit party through and through."

He glares at me. "This is none of your busin—"

"She's not going anywhere." April snaps. "Neither am I. If anyone, you are going to leave."

Well goddamn.

I don't think I've ever seen April talk to him in such a hostile manner before. My eyes wide and shocked like hell, I watch the interaction silently.

He stands on his feet, glaring down at April. "You will not disrespect me."

But she doesn't back down.

"You cheated on Mom!" She shouts. "Fuck you and your stupid fucking respect!"

I almost start cheering April on when I notice Melissa getting up. April and Levi were consumed in their stare down and argument to notice as she stumbled weakly out of the room, her head down.

I tell myself to mind my business, looking away.

"I have done no such thing. She...she came onto me."

"You liar! How old do you think I am to believe that? Huh? Not even an eleven year old would buy that bullshit! Stop fucking lying!"

This wasn't going to settle down any time soon.

Where is she going?

I force myself to look down at my nails, knowing that if I looked at the couch, I'd want to go over to my female parental unit for God knows what.

She had that look on her face. The haunted, broken down look that I assume you get when your entire world falls apart. I'd seen it before on my Dad's face.

She'll be okay, right? No need to follow her. She's a grown woman. She can handle herself.

I repeat that to myself over and over, desperate to believe it. I needed to mind my business. Melissa and I are not daughter and mother. I don't need to get involved in this. She knew what she was getting into when she married Levi. When she cheated on my father with him.