Chapter 10:

A S P E N    W I L S O N
»»————-  ————-««

Where, where, where?

My feet take me in circles as my eyes desperately dart around, looking for a familiar bob of black hair.

I was about to cut the street to get to the other side of Lincoln Avenue when I saw Kesam's slumped figure sitting on a curb.

I take my ass over there as fast as I can and when I reach in front of her, my racing heart finally starts to calm. "Bitch, who hurt you?"

Kesam looks up from her knees she was hugging, dark mascara running down her cheeks. "You're— why the fuck do you have a baseball bat?" Her eyes widen as she notices the handy weapon hanging over my shoulder.

I had to do some serious digging, but luckily I found my old bat from when I played softball as a girl in the trunk of Roberta.

"It may look shabby, but this bat can cause serious damage. I took out my crush's tooth with it when I was in sixth grade." I look around quickly. "Who am I beating up by the way? I don't see a punchable face around."

"No one," Kesam laughs, rubbing at her cheeks and smudging the mascara on her face onto her hands.

"Well that's no fun." I sigh before plopping down on the curb besides her. "Why're are you crying then? Someone had to do something."

"It's nothing. Just my parents." She turns her head to face me, sniffling, "Do you think I can stay with you tonight? I really have nowhere else I can go without my parents figuring out where I am."

I don't hesitate in my answer. I just smile at her and pat her back. "I got you. I'll tell my father's ex cum dumpster that you are going to stay over right now."

She coughs while I pull out my phone and start looking through my contacts. "Cum dumpster?"

"Yes, it's a term of endearment for my birth giver," I mumble while dialing Melissa.

"Your mom?"

She doesn't pick up at all and I keep trying, failing the four other times I call her. I get up and grab Kesam's hand, forcibly pulling her up.

"Correct." I reply to her earlier statement. "Now, she's not picking up the phone so we'll just have to go over and surprise her."

Kesam looks uncertain. "Are you sure? If it's going to cause or bring you any problems, it's okay. I'll figure something else-"

"There's not going to be a issue." I assure her.

At least I hope it won't be one.

I drag Kesam as gently as I can to my car and once she's seated, I pull out of the neighborhood and put in the Beckett's address in the GPS.

When we get down from the car in front of the house, Kesam nudges me. "I'll never get over how big this house is no matter how many times I see it."

"Same," I mutter, walking forward to the front porch. I knock on it, hard, until I can hear loud footsteps from the other side.