Chapter 28:

A S P E N W I L S O N
»»————-  ————-««

April was going to the Homecoming dance in a few hours. And it's safe to say both her and Melissa are on the brink of having a meltdown because of how late things were running. Levi had left hours ago (thank God) to do some business at the office.

It was only us three in the house.

"Comb, comb, where'd I put the comb?" April twists in a circle, flipping the couch upside down.

"It's right here." I snort, pointing to the table next to the couch I was lounging on.

"Oh! Thanks!" She breathes out a sigh and quickly grabs the comb, harshly pulling at her hair as she tried to brush it.

I watch her silently as she struggles in the mirror to do her hair, trying multiple hairstyles before giving up. She groans and deciding to take a break from being useless, I put my phone down besides me.

"Come here, I'll help."

"Oh my God, really?" She throws herself on me and wraps her arms around me tight. "Will you please, please do that fancy braiding thing you used to do when we were in fifth grade?"

I was a good braider. I had a whole hair phase where I was obsessed with learning new hairdos and hairstyles and April always used to be my handy little mannequin I could practice on.

"Sure, now let go of me and sit down lady."

She squeals but plops down on the couch and turns her back to me, tucking her legs under her. I get up on my knees and grab her hair, humming a low tune as I started to pull her hair into an updo.

"April, sweetheart, I looked—oh."

Melissa cuts herself off and I glance over at her, seeing a smile grow on her face as she looked in between April and I. I quickly look away, pushing my fingers through two loops to finish the hairstyle.

"Okay, I'm done." I tell April.

She jumps off the couch and skips over to the nearest mirror. She smiles and then hops back over to me, hugging me again and then planting a sloppy kiss on my cheek. "You're a goddess, thank you."

"I am, aren't I?" I smile cheekily, basking in the compliment.

April was walking away towards the bathroom but pauses to shout, "You really are!"

That enlarges my smile. I pick up my phone again and go back to eating my candy and filming the two.

Family was the next part of our project. And I had to include these two if we were keeping up the pretense that what happened five years ago didn't happen.

"Aspen, may I ask just why you are filming this mess?" My birth giver speaks, folding the clothes that were flung everywhere in the living room.

"For a project." I answer vaguely.

"The same one with Liliana Black's son?" She asks.

"Yep."

She blows out a deep sigh. "Why don't you tell me a bit more about this project? And that boy?"