I Never Hated You

Dick may come off as a little harsh in this one, but for the sake of the story line, I had to write it like that.
  Basically, Y/n thinks Nightwing hates her, but the reality is quite the opposite.
  Enjoy ;)

  From the minute you met him, Nightwing had always hated your guts. Being the leader of the team, he tried not to show it in front of the other members, but you could see he wanted nothing to do with you. Whenever you tried to give some insight on an important matter being discussed, he would clench his jaw and scowl.

  You had no clue why he hated you. You had been positively polite to him when you were introduced to the team by Black Canary, your legal guardian. You had been nervous to meet the team you were joining, and hadn't necessarily been confident when Dinah left you with them to go do some work. They had been all smiles and warm welcomes, but Nightwing... he had given you one look and walked away.

  A few days later you had bumped into him in the hallway, too busy examining a large gash on your arm from a mission to notice him coming around the corner.

  "Look where you're going next time," he'd snapped at you when you'd apologised.

  Having grown a bit more comfortable with the team, you had the confidence to scowl and say, "I said I'm sorry. No need to be harsh."

  He'd scoffed and walked away. Again.
  From then on, you and him were constantly at each other's necks. You got so frustrated with how he treated you. You'd seen him with the others, and Tim had told you he was usually a happy-go-lucky kind of person. But with you he seemed to always be in a bad mood.

  It was too bad, considering you were good friends with Cass. Seeing as Black Canary had raised you since you were little, Batman trusted you enough to let Cass tell you her identity. And, to know one, meant to know all of them, so you knew Nightwing was Dick Grayson. So, knowing their identities, you could sometimes be found around the manor, helping Alfred with things from cleaning to cooking. Cass, you and Barbra would have girls' nights every now and then, so you found yourself spending many mornings in the same kitchen as Dick.

  Another problem was that you didn't actually hate the guy. You had seen his good side when he wasn't looking. You had seen how much he cared for his family, how determined he was to accomplish every mission, and how sweet he could be when he was talking to someone he didn't hate.

  You definitely didn't hate him. In fact, you were starting to fall for him. And it hurt, because you knew you had no chance. He hated you, after all.

———

  Today had been a crappy day. School sucked. You failed a test you studied really hard for, and all you wanted was an easy day at the base. No missions, no drama. Apparently the universe decided otherwise.

  "Alfa Team is me, Impulse, Blue Beetle, and Yellow Canary. Beta is Batgirl, Wondergirl, Robin and Beast Boy. Batgirl, you lead Beta Team. Report to me once you're in position," Dick said, his cowl hiding the crease you knew he got between his eyes when he was in 'superhero mode'.

  You were slightly shocked he had decided to put you on his team. Usually he put you in Beta or Gamma. Sometimes in Delta, if there were that many teams. Maybe he was starting to not hate you so much...?

  Highly unlikely.

  He probably just wanted to keep a closer eye on you.

  The thought of Dick not trusting you enough to put you under someone else's lead did nothing to better your mood.

———

  "The building is going to fall! All teams, get out of there now! And bring as many civilians out with you!" Dick called over the coms.