Jason Todd x Reader

I wrote this Jason x reader a while back and I re-read it again this morning. I thought I might share it with you guys.

  "Jason is dead."

  Those were words that you had never wanted to hear. You'd never wanted them to be said. Your partner in crime-fighting and best friend. Gone. Never coming back. It was too much. Too much for you to handle. Too much to comprehend. Someone who had always been a presence in your life, suddenly not. Not there anymore. Not teasing you, not joking with you, not smiling at you, not covering your back. Not existing.

  "No," you said, trying to swallow the lump that had formed in your throat, "No, he can't be. He just can't!"

  Bruce was looking at you with a devastated expression and Dick stepped forward to put a hand on your shoulder.

  "Y/n," he murmured, hand outstretched, but you jerked away, something you never thought you would do when it came to Dick. But you did.

  "No," you said again, tears blurring your vision but you refused to let them fall, "No! You're lying! You're both lying!" You whipped your head in the direction of the only other person you knew you could trust completely, "Alfred? Please."

  Tell me it's not true.

  The butler's expression was enough to confirm what you dreaded. A sob wracked your body and you hunched over, covering your mouth and falling to your knees.

  "No," you whispered, but this time it was in defeat rather than defiance, "Jason."

  He was dead. Your best friend was dead.

  And you didn't even get to say goodbye...

  FIVE YEARS LATER

  "Phoenix, status report."

  You crouched down on a nearby rooftop and surveyed the area around the abandoned warehouse.

  Why is it always an abandoned warehouse?

  "Phoenix to Batman, I am in position. The warehouse looks to be abandoned, but that is never really the case, is it?" You murmured into your comms unit.

  You could hear Tim's soft chuckle at your comment on the other side of the line, but Bruce simply said, "Can you get closer? Look through a window?"

  You paused, scanning all possible hiding places near the windows.

  "Yeah, I think so. There's a stack of crates a few meters away from a window."

  "Good. Go take a look."

  You climbed down from the roof and hurried across the open space, hoping your black cape hid you from anyone nearby. The crates were old and brittle-looking, so you navigated through them cautiously. When you got to a secure spot, you peeked through a gap in the wood and trained your eyes on the window.

  There weren't any lights on inside, and nothing seemed to be moving, but that didn't necessarily mean no one was home. You were just dealing with criminals smarter than most—if you were even dealing with criminals at all.

  "Phoenix to Batman. I can't see anything suspicious through the window. I'm going to see if I can get inside," you whispered.

  "Report anything that could be a lead."

  "Copy that."

  You snuck along the walls, feeling every window and door to see if it was unlocked. Eventually you came across an open window and slipped inside.