Storage System

Cypher wasn't blind. He saw how his father treated Maxwell. If he thought he had it bad... Max was ignored completely almost. He'd show his father a sketch and get a nasty look and a shoo. It broke Cypher's heart seeing his little brothers face fall like that.

   Rune didn't seem to notice because Matthew had her on a pedestal still. And Cypher... Cypher was noticed by others because he did something they liked. His father could hardly look at him.

   Cypher knew something was off about his father still. He disappeared for three years and then came back and only a year later Max was born as a "surprise to everyone." Something didn't add up.

   His father wasn't a cruel man. He wouldn't treat his children like this unless something was wrong... would he?

   Cypher began watching his father especially around Max. Something had to slip... He had to figure it out.

   And he did.

   After days of watching his father he noticed sparks flying off him. His soul started to race when black lines poked from the corners of his eyes. The corruption. His code is still unstable. His power is gonna blow.

   Matthew huffed and brushed the black away like it was make up. "Maxwell!"

   Cypher kept quiet as he waited to see what happened.

   Maxwell practically dashed into the room. "Yes dad?"

   Matthew gave a tight smile. "Come here."

   Max grinned and went over. He latched onto his father and nuzzled close. He hummed softly and closed his eyes.

   Matthew smiled and held him close. His hands sparked more and glowed a bit. Maxwell glowed in response. When the glow stopped Matthew let go. "Thank you Maxy. You can go now."

   Max's eyes held sadness. "Already..?"

   "Maxwell..."

   "Yes sir... I love you dad–" Max said stopping at the door.

   "Maxwell!"

   Maxwell ducked out of the room.

   Cyphers brain hurt trying to comprehend what happened. His father... The Matthew Miraculous... was using a child. His own child! He was using him to keep himself sane.

   "What are you doing?" Cypher grit out leaning against the wall.

   Matthew tensed up. "Cypher?"

   "What– are you doing?" Cypher repeated.

   "Cypher where are you?" Matthew turned and finally caught sight of his middle son. "I wasn't.. doing anything." It was too late. He knew he had been caught by someone who understood what was going on.

   "Mhmm. Nothing." Cypher felt white hot anger bubbling up. "He is 12. 12 years old. What are you doing?"

   "Nothing! I've just been stressed snd haven't payed enough attention to you and him–"

   "No! Stop! You were always like this! You were always a crappy father and now I know why! We are a game to you! You do see things like me except in a bad way! You use people to get what you want. You are just like me except you ARE selfish!!! You use Rune so people can see how good of a person and father you are, you use me as a scientist, you use Max to store your power! You probably used Papa too. And Uncle Matt. And aunt Crayola and everyone!" Cypher sucked in a breath. "You use people!"

   "Cypher is isn't what you think. I'm not... stable–"

   "Then figure something out! Become stable! Stop using others to help yourself!" Cypher snapped and took a deep breath. "Until you figure this out... you aren't my father Matthew." Cypher turned not waiting to see the look on Matthew's face.