Why Can't I?

"Cypher and dad are fighting again... I never know why. They've been like this for a while. They seemed fine and then... they just fell apart a couple years ago.." Maxwell murmured.

   "Max. I am literally always with me. Stop telling me shit I already know." Viral picked at his nails and flicked his tail. 

   "Just let me talk okay? Dad hugged me again!" Max grinned. "His hugs are always so warm. I love Papa's hugs but his are better. They remind me of Cypher's hugs but I get hugs from Cyph all the time. Dad's hugs are special!"

   Viral shut his mouth and avoided Maxwell's gaze. He had figured it out ages ago when he started limiting Maxwell's power. He first became active because of one of these spikes. He only stuck around because Max would probably fall apart without him. Matthew was a really crappy father for what he did... Viral supposed he could understand it. He couldn't stand being near Maxwell's father. His power was so unchecked and it almost choked Viral. 

   The virus looked down the hall and tensed. "Max hush!" He slapped a hand over Max's mouth. 

   "Why?" He whispered. 

   "Max. Who are you talking to?" Rune asked looking around. 

   Max paused glancing at Viral who quickly shook his head. "No one. I was just planning my next sketch. I was going over what to say to Uncle Fortune." 

   "Alright. Don't forget to dress nice. You look like a trash can." Rune ruffled her brother's hair. "Dad wants all three of us in the banquet hall before sunset." She shoved the boy away. 

   The youngest stumbled. "Alright I'll be there!" Max grinned and waved his sister off. Rune was always a little rough like that. He was used to it. 

Rune rolled her eyes and turned to head off somewhere. 

   "Why can't I tell anyone about you?" Max asked turning back to Viral. 

   "You know about the other Virus." Viral crossed his arms. 

   "But you aren't like him! You're nice!" Max grinned. "You're my friend."

   Viral grit his teeth and swooshed his tail. "I am not your friend and I am not nice. I am doing my job."

   Maxwell pouted a bit. "But you are nice."

   "Maxwell."

   "Fine... I gotta tell someone about you."

   "That is a bad idea. A very bad idea."

   "No it isn't!" Maxwell went to head off to his room and change for the banquet. Viral was helplessly pulled along by his host.