The Banquet Take 2

"Peter is really sad you can't go but he understands. He's glad you told him to go ahead." Matt hummed.

   "Yeah. Sorry for stalling for so long. " Matthew sighed rubbing the back of his neck. His healing was a slow process but his chest didn't ache as much anymore.

   "You could have told me your were hurting like that..." Matt murmured softly. "Both ways."

   Mattie looked away and sighed. "Yeah... Karma signed me up with the therapist you went to. He thinks it will help."

   "It will help." Matt hummed.

   Mattie sighed. "Regardless. I'm sorry that I made Peter wait to plan it. I won't be upset when I can't go."

   Matt glanced over his brother and sighed. He knew that the elder was avoiding the topic. "Yeah. He has it set for three days from now."

   "I'm sure it will be amazing." He smiled softly.

   Matt nodded. "I'll see you around Mattie... Kay?"

   "Yeah okay. See you." Matthew smiled waving his brother off.

   Matthews first appointment with the therapist was the next day. It went well... Awkward and tense at the start but better by the end. Mattie didn't get into a lot of his inner thoughts that time...

   The day after that Matthew begged to have all of his kids visit. The doctor allowed it since Matthew was healing better now. Matthew was overjoyed to see all three of them. Maxwell hardly left his fathers side. Even Cypher seemed more chipper.

   The next day was the day of the banquet. The infirmary was quiet with most castle workers already there.

   Mattie sighed leaning against his pillow. He was getting restless. A couple weeks  in here would drive anyone bonkers. "I can't stand it here. I want my clothes and my bed."

   "Sorry starlight but you're still sick. And you sound like a child." Karma chuckled.

   "They won't even let me out of bed! I'm so sick of this!" Mattie huffed crossing his arms.

   Karma laughed softly with a fond look. He enjoyed seeing his husband more lively like this. "Well last time you said you were healing well was a lie so we're being careful."

   "Well it isn't a lie this time! I'm sick of being here." Matthew muttered. 

   Karma looked to the side with a small sigh. "I'll be right back love."

   "Okay. Love you." Mattie murmured.

   Karma pressed a light kiss to his husbands head and went out the door. "Doctor... Would it be possible for me to take Mattie out for a bit? He's restless and I don't think being cooped up is good for his... mental health."

   The doctor frowned and sighed. "I wouldn't usually... but i suppose he can go out. He needs someone to watch him at all times and I expect him back before he needs his nighttime meds."

   Karam was surprised. He didn't think it would be that easy. "Yes sir." He dashed off to get Mattie's clothes.

   Matthew looked up when the door opened. Karma was there holding a pale violet sweater and some white pants. He raised a brow.

   Karma smiled. "Wanna go to the banquet?"

   Mattie had to lean on Karma for support. His chest ached a little with effort but it wasn't crippling. He was happy to be out of bed. They slipped inside the hall quietly. Dinner was already over giving way to the party part. At first no one noticed them.

   Maxwell was the first to notice.He turned around and beamed. "Dad!" He went to jog over.

   Of course Max's exclamation drew the attention of his siblings. Cypher and Rune also turned. "Dad..?" Rune muttered and then gasped. "Dad!" She took off after Max. Cypher got a ghost of a smile and followed after them.

   Matthew made an oof sound as Maxwell collided with him. That hurt a little... He chuckled to hide it and ran a hand through his son's hair. "Hi Max."

   "You're out of the hospital!" Maxwell beamed up at his dad.

   "Only for a little bit. I have to go back soon."

   "You must have had to beg to get out of there." Rune giggled patting her fathers shoulder.

   Cypher didn't say anything as he ducked into hai father's side to help support him.

   Max finally released his father and smiled. "I'm so happy to see you here!"

   Mattie smiled. "I'm happy to be here kiddo."

   Max continued to beam at the attention.

   "Mattie! You made it!" Peter finally noticed. His eyes were shining as he hurried over to hai oldest brother.

   "Nothing could keep me from coming. I was gonna sneak out anyway." Matthew joked.

   Max tugged on his father's shirt. "Come on!"

   Matthew grabbed onto Cypher and Rune and then let Max pull all three of them along into the party...