11. the tea

Things were awkward.

You found yourself engaged in a staring contest with the Princess, Athanasia de Alger Obelia. She was a child, how the hell could she send you such a gaze no normal child would be able to pull off? Was it her genes?

You swear you've felt this kind of serious stare before.

Though the context was a teeny, tiny bit different—

No matter how much you wanted to question how the hell a three year old was able to hold a stable gaze like the one she was giving you at the moment, you couldn't erase the feeling of awkwardness as you found yourself in the Ruby Palace—in the Princess' room, at that—yet again.

Lilian York left you alone with the Princess under the excuse of 'picking up the completed budget documentary of the Ruby Palace for the past month,' but you knew better.

Fucking around the palace ( in ways more than one ) questionably made you gain braincells, and you know understood the meaning behind Lilian York's actions.

It's a forced test. A reasonable one.

You, a staff member of the Garnet Palace sent by the Emperor himself, has been frequenting the Ruby Palace, the place the Princess was staying. Lilian York probably assumed Claude sent you to keep an eye on Athanasia.

You weren't sure if Lily would be glad to know that you weren't directly sent to the Ruby Palace to check on Athanasia ( Claude never said that was his intention in sending you ), so you just act as if you bought her excuses and let her do as she pleases. 

Unfortunately, because of that, you were now placed in a room with the Princess who looks at you with a gaze that screamed 'I'm suspicious of you'. It's like she knew you worked directly for her father.

Well, now that I know the real reason why Lilian York is acting like that, it wouldn't hurt to check, right? you turned to the Princess. You heard about how the Princess seemed intelligent, and you were very much tempted to believe it when you saw the way she looks ( borderline glaring ) at you.

"...Do you want to hear stories about His Majesty? Blink once for yes, twice for no." 

Why am I talking to her like she's a spirit I'm trying to contact? you internally groaned. And what's with that conversation starter?! I'm talking to a kid, but my conversational skills hasn't improved a bit.

After hearing your question, the Princess momentarily stopped the intense staring. Instead, her mouth formed into a circle out of surprise, and then she blinked twice. Aggressively. 

IOkay, I see you really don't want to talk him. If you even actually understood what I said.

"Okay, nothing about your father, then..." you say that, but you didn't know what to talk about if Claude wasn't the topic. What could you possibly say to entertain a kid?

And so, the room was engulfed with silence. The only thing that improved was that Athanasia was no longer glaring at you. She still had her eyes on you, but it wasn't giving out the 'I'm suspicious of you' vibes like it did earlier.

It was more of like she managed to confirm something through your 'conversation' ( you were pathetic to call that interaction a conversation, but whatever ). You didn't know what exactly she confirmed ( or if she even did, considering her very young age ) but you were glad she looks like she somewhat trusts you now.

"Ouu to." your train of thought was interrupted by the Princess...speaking? Or at least, trying to speak. 

You didn't understand one bit of what she just said. But considering how she was pointing directly at you with expectant eyes, you figured that she wanted to come closer, and so you stood up from the couch and walked over to her crib.