14

*TW: slight NSFW*

George pulled his clothes back on quickly, his back turned to Dream, who was still lounging in his bed. The forgotten laptop was pulled back in his lap, half-lidded green eyes fixed on the screen.

George was already feeling more grounded and sober from what had just happened with the blonde, but he could still feel a lingering heaviness in his body, a relaxed feeling still weighing him down.

So it was easy enough for the brunette to blame the after effects of smoking on what came tumbling out of his mouth next.

"Dream, what are we doing here?"

He regretted it the minute he said it, his back still turned to Dream as his face burned in embarrassment.

He heard Dream pause the movie, his body shifting slightly in his bed as he said, "what do you mean?"

George swallowed hard, turning slowly on his heels to meet Dream's questioning gaze.

"I just mean, like...what are we...I mean-" George's voice trailed off as he swallowed hard again, his heart thumping in his chest as he dropped his eyes to look at the floor.

He was met with only a silence that grew heavier with each passing second, and when he finally managed to lift his gaze, Dream's green eyes were still on him, one eyebrow raised questioningly.

Dream sighed, running a hand through his messy blonde hair as he answered, "I'm assuming that you're looking to put a label on things since we've hooked up a couple of times?"

George's stomach twisted into a knot at Dream's words, but whether it was because of the implication behind them or the indifferent look on Dream's face, he couldn't be sure.

"W-what? No, no that's not what I meant," George spoke quietly, knowing that his tone had to be giving away the disappointment he was feeling. He wasn't sure what he had expected when the words fell from his mouth, but this definitely wasn't it.

Dream sighed again, pushing himself up to a sitting position and swinging his legs over the side of his bed, hands resting on either side of his thighs as he responded, "alright, well I'm not really one for labels, anyway."

George only nodded in response, his eyes flickering about the room, looking anywhere but at the blonde who sat in front of him.

"You don't seem satisfied with that answer, George," Dream said, his voice a bit quieter.

George sat down on the edge of his bed, and looking up meet Dream's gaze, he noticed a somewhat softer expression on his face.

He shrugged, forcing a smile as he answered, "I don't really mind, I'm not one for labels either. No big deal."

George's stomach twisted again in disappointment as the lie left his mouth. Dream was so noncommittal and easygoing about everything in his life, George shouldn't have been surprised to learn that he was the same way about his relationships, or hookups, or whatever it was that the two of them were doing.

He couldn't be more different from Dream because the brunette thought labels were important, he relied on the sense of comforting stability that they seemed to provide him. But the thought of allowing Dream to know that was too much for him to bear given the current situation.

So he simply chose to ignore the sinking feeling in his chest, surprised at the fact that he even felt disappointed to begin with.

"Okay, good," Dream finally spoke, a grin on his face as George pushed up from his mattress.

George quickly moved across the room, busying himself by pulling open one of his dresser drawers and rearranging the articles of clothing within, anything to put some distance between Dream and himself.