29

*TW: mention of drugs/drug use*

"It's not what it looks like, George," Dream broke the silence, his voice quiet and almost desperate as he motioned to the clear bags in the brunette's hand.

George dropped them down onto the top of the dresser, tears pooling in his eyes as he responded, "what does that mean? You told me you got rid of everything, but that's obviously not true. I think it's exactly what it looks like, Dream!"

George knew he was yelling, his tone loud and erratic as he tried to rationalize the situation. But it felt like the room was spinning, everything that he believed to be true unraveling at the seams.

He had trusted Dream, finally believed that the blonde was telling him the truth, but now he had no idea what to believe.

And if it was true, that Dream was still using, that meant that the whole night, everything that had just happened between them wasn't real. Not in the way George wanted it to be, at least.

George shook his head quickly, not letting his mind wander any further than it already had. It hurt too much to think about.

Dream took a step closer, a pleading look in his eyes as he said, "George, please. I did throw everything away, I did. I just...I must have forgotten those, I don't know."

But he was stumbling over his words, his voice shaky and unsure as he explained himself. It made it difficult for George to believe him, doubt screaming in the back of his mind that Dream was still lying to him, even after all this time, after everything they'd been through together.

George shook his head, his eyes dropping to the floor as he tried to process what was happening; his mind was pulling him in one direction and his heart was pulling him in the complete opposite.

When he lifted his eyes again, he quietly asked, "why should I believe you, Dream? It's not like you haven't lied to me in the past."

Dream exhaled quietly, his hands fidgeting nervously as he took a step closer and responded, "I know, George. I'm just...I'm asking you to trust me. Just please, I need you to trust me."

Dream moved closer, until he was right in front of George, his hand moving to the brunette's face as he quietly asked, "can you do that...for me?"

George looked into his emerald green eyes, searching for the answers. But there was nothing there but a desperate plea for forgiveness and understanding, so he sighed quietly before answering, "yes, Dream. If you're saying that you're telling me the truth, then I believe you."

Dream's face remained unreadable, his voice still quiet as he muttered out, "thank you, George."

George tried to smile, but it faded quickly as he quietly said, "please don't make me regret trusting you, Dream."

Dream only nodded, using his thumb to wipe away a few tears as they slid down George's face, his hands moving to pull the brunette into a hug.

They stayed like this for what felt like hours, until George finally pulled away. They showered quickly, silence settling over them as they cleaned themselves off under the steamy spray of water.

They got changed into clean clothes, and George didn't hesitate to climb back into Dream's bed, the blonde's arms wrapped tightly around him in a comforting embrace, his face nuzzled into Dream's chest.

But he couldn't seem to shake the uneasy feeling in his chest, his mind racing and keeping him awake. He knew Dream must have felt the same way, because one of his hands was rubbing soothing circles on George's back, the other gently running through brunette locks.