Chapter 11: The Tonight Show

Today was Lizzie's big day on Fallon. I was beyond nervous for her. I didn't want her to do something she'd regret later all because I forced her hand.

Kate and I haven't spoken since that night, which I was thankful for. Steven acted like nothing was going on when I saw him at work and I started to wonder if she even confronted him about her suspicions or if she just lashed out at me. Girls are confusing and, quite frankly, fucking weird.

Lizzie had asked me if I wanted to go with her to the show and I hesitated before she assured me I wouldn't have to do anything but be there. I wanted to support her so I agreed, and deep inside I knew it would be exciting to watch her live.

She was in a beautiful burgundy dress that went down past her knee with spaghetti straps. As usual, she looked amazing, but there was something off about her tonight.

"Are you okay?" I questioned her as she was getting her makeup done.

I sat across from her, watching her face intently as she sat still as stone, her hands clenched together in her lap.

"I'm nervous," she chuckled softly, her eyes darting from the makeup artist to me. "But also excited."

I reached over and placed a hand on her knee.

"You're gonna do great out there."

She covered my hand with her own and smiled at me.

"I'm excited to talk about you. You make me so happy," she sighed. "It's gonna feel so good to finally admit that I'm with a girl."

I couldn't help but smile, my cheeks flushing a light pink at her words. It really did seem as if she was doing this because she wanted to instead of her feeling as if she had to because of me.

Her fingers tightened around mine and I raised my eyes to meet hers, which were staring into mine with an intensity I wasn't quite familiar with. I wasn't used to people looking at me the way she did. She looked at me with ... love.

"You're on in ten, Ms. Olsen." An assistant popped her head in and announced.

She took a deep breath and smiled brightly at me, the makeup artist taking one last look at her before nodding and cleaning up her supplies.

"You look beautiful."

"I would kiss you but I don't want to ruin all of Marie's hard work."

"Do not kiss until after the show." She pointed at us with a brush.

I suppressed a giggle and got up from my seat, extending a hand to her, which she took gratefully.

"Are you gonna watch from backstage?"

She questioned quietly, almost afraid of my answer.

"Of course," I answered excitedly. "I wouldn't miss this for the world."

She leaned in to me before we heard Marie clear her throat. Laughing, she took my hand and I placed a kiss on the back of it. Just because she couldn't kiss me didn't mean I couldn't kiss her.

We walked out and down the hall until we could hear Jimmy talking and the crowd cheering and I smiled up at her.

"That's all for you, baby. Go get 'em."

" - tonight's guest, Elizabeth Olsen!"

I clapped for her and she peeked behind me before giving me a quick peck and rushing on stage. She was so lucky we were alone - Marie would've killed me.

I watched proudly as she walked out and waved at everyone, hugging Jimmy and then sitting down. I couldn't imagine how she could do this so often. There were so many cameras and so many people with all of their eyes on her, waiting on her every word.

"So, our producers say you have a big announcement to make."

"I do!" She gushed, crossing her legs and clasping her hands together in her lap.

"What is it - we're all excited to hear it!"

"Well, first of all, Robbie and I are no longer together."

A chorus of "aww's" echoed throughout the studio. She waved them off, a big goofy smile on her face.

"We're still friends, don't worry, but that's not the announcement," she bounced excitedly. "I'm actually seeing someone new. Someone really, really great."

"Who is it? Tell us all about him."

"Well, her, actually."

The butterflies in my stomach exploded as she finally said it. I think I was more nervous at this point than she was. She looked so happy, lighter than air, and obviously couldn't sit still, she was so excited.

"Her?" Jimmy asked, a huge smile on his face.

"Her!" She nodded happily. "She's so great!"

"Well, how'd you guys meet?"

I continued to watch from backstage as she gushed over our first time meeting and our first official date, cutely animated the whole time. I couldn't believe how much this actually meant to her. This must've truly been a horrible secret to keep all of this time. To not be able to be yourself must be a heavy burden to bear.

"Well, thank you, Elizabeth! Maybe next time you can bring her on with you!"

"Maybe," she giggled. "I'll see what she has to say about that."

"Elizabeth Olsen, everybody!"

The crowd erupted in cheers and I realized what this could mean for all those people out there. Their favorite actress was now one of them, and they weren't so different anymore. A lot of young Marvel fans would probably wake up feeling differently about themselves because Elizabeth was brave enough to come out on live television.

She rushed off stage and threw herself into my arms. I held her close, spinning her around as she giggled.

"You did so good out there, babe."

"You think so?" She pulled back to look at my face and then kissed me deeply.

"I'm so proud of you," I whispered against her lips, rubbing the tip of my nose against hers. "So proud."

"It felt good," she blushed, brushing a bit of my hair back off of my face. "I'm so happy I can be myself now."

"I'm happy for you. You're free."