Chapter 22: Family

"Y/N! Are you almost ready?"

"Yeah!" I called back to her, as I attempted to fix my collar in the mirror.

She peeked her head in the bathroom, stifling a giggle as she watched me struggle with my stubborn shirt.

"It won't stay down." I grumbled, trying in vain to flatten the rogue garment.

She fully entered the room, approaching me in a beautiful black dress; simple and casual, yet elegant, and gently shooed my hands away, fixing the annoyance with ease.

"How did you manage to do in five seconds what I couldn't do in five minutes?"

She wiggled her fingers at me and smiled.

"Magic hands. They can do anything."

"They sure can." I smirked, brushing a stray piece of lint off of my shoulder before turning to her, admiring her and her outfit. "You look beautiful."

"So do you."

I took her hand and raised it up to my lips, kissing the back of it delicately. She did an exaggerated curtsy and giggled, playing along with my little charade.

"You better get your shoes on. Everyone's gonna be here any minute."

"Shit." I pulled my phone out of my pocket with my free hand and sighed as I checked the time. "I didn't realize how late it was. I'm surprised mom isn't already here."

"I'm surprised my family wasn't early. Mostly because of my sisters."

Ah, yes. There was that familiar nervousness bubbling up once again. Pure panic.

I took a deep breath and smiled at her, tugging on her hand gently to have her follow me into the bedroom. She was already ready; makeup done, hair perfectly placed, outfit complete. She was just waiting on me to finish my look - which wasn't all that spectacular to begin with. She insisted we stay casual, but not too casual, so I went with a nice white collared shirt with short sleeves and gray pants. Elizabeth seemed pleased with it, so I figured it was good enough for the evening.

"Can I wear my sneakers? They're plain enough to pass as a kind of loafer, right?"

She squinted at my shoes before pointing out a pair of black sneakers she deemed worthy. Thank god she picked sneakers, but I suspected she was taking pity on me.

"Thank you." I whispered, grabbing them and slipping them on quickly before she could change her mind. She was big on fashion at times, but mostly big on comfort, which I appreciated.

As I stood to smooth out my clothing, the doorbell rang. Our eyes met, both with a fleeting look of panic, and then smiled. We were both terrified in our own way and for our own reasons, but we were there for each other.

I reached my hand out to her and she took it happily.

"Ready?"

"Ready."

With a nod, I led her out to the door, taking a deep breath before opening the door. It was her family; her mom, dad, and two sisters. Apparently her brother wouldn't be joining us.

"Mom, dad." She released my hand and threw her arms around her mother.

I stood there awkwardly as her father sized me up before she turned her attention to him, pulling him into a hug also. She ushered them in and greeted her sisters briefly before turning to me.

"Mom, dad, this is Y/N."

I put on my bravest and biggest smile and extended my hand out to her mother. She returned the smile and went in for a hug instead. Taken back, I paused for a moment before returning it, awkwardly embracing her mother. I wasn't much of a hugger.