Chapter 19: The Best Surprise

"Wake up, sleepyhead."

I grumbled at the disturbance, opening my eyes to see a smiling Lizzie looking down at me. I closed my eyes, knowing it was a dream, but when I opened them again, she was still there, waiting for me to wake up.

"You're here?" I questioned sleepily, finally waking up fully. "You're here!" I cried out, jumping out of bed and wrapping my arms around her neck.

She laughed, losing her balance and falling back on the bed with me in her arms, holding me close.

"I'm here, baby. I missed you."

"I missed you more." I mumbled against her, rubbing my face against the crook of her neck. "But you weren't due back for another three days. I was gonna meet you at the airport."

"I wanted to surprise you." She replied simply.

"You really did," I giggled, pressing eager kisses to her neck. "You're the best surprise ever."

"Am I?" She asked teasingly. "You can't think of anything better?"

I shook my head against her.

"Nope. You're it."

"What about this?"

She pulled away from me and reached into her bag, pulling out a little black box. My heart began to pound hard in my chest as I watched her cradle it carefully, handing it over to me slowly.

My eyes moved from the box to her expectant gaze, taking it from her hesitantly. My hands shook as I opened the velvet case, seeing the beautiful, enormous, diamond inside nearly making me drop the box.

She took hold of my hands, clearly seeing that they were unsteady, and smiled at me.

"I love you," her voice was small and quiet. "And this is a token of that love."

"Elizabeth," I whispered, my voice getting caught in my throat. "This is ..."

She took the ring out of the box and took my left hand, sliding it onto my ring finger easily. She had clearly been planning this for a while.

"This is too much." I gasped, watching as the large diamond sparkled in the light.

"Nothing is too much for you."

"I ... I won't be able to get you something just as nice." I stammered, my eyes filling with tears; happy or sad ones, I couldn't tell.

"I don't expect anything back from you," she smiled, pressing a kiss to my hand. "I just want to spoil you from time to time."

"But -"

She leaned forward and stopped me mid-sentence by kissing me gently, and I couldn't help but let all my worries slip away. She loved me. Now I had to get a gift for her that would knock her socks off.

"Thank you," I whispered against her lips, smiling down at the beautiful ring on my finger. "I love it."

"And I love you."

"I love you more," I showered her face with kisses. "Way, way more."

"So is it like an engagement ring?" Bailey asked, taking a sip of her mimosa, staring at the large gem on my hand.

"She didn't say it was. She just said it was a token of her love."

"Pretty expensive token," she said, eyes wide at my words. "You're so lucky."

"I'm still waiting to wake up, honestly," I laughed. "This all seems way too good to be true."

"I know. I hear about it all the time."

I tilted my head at her in confusion. What did she mean by that?

"Kate never shuts up about you and Elizabeth. Always going on and on about your relationship."

Before I could ask her more about it, my phone went off. I pulled it out and checked to see who was messaging me. It was Elizabeth asking if I wanted her to pick me up from brunch so we could go shopping for dinner tonight. I answered her yes and returned my attention to Bailey.

"What does she say about us?"

She shrugged.

"She's just always saying how she envies your relationship and she can't wait to meet Elizabeth. Which, b-t-dubs, same."

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink. I had been avoiding the subject of Kate when it came to Elizabeth. I didn't want to deal with the situation so I was just pretending it didn't exist.

"Well, she's coming to pick me up so you'll have your chance right now."

She nearly spit out her drink in shock, choking dramatically.

"What?! I'm not ready!"

"Ready for what?" I laughed. "It's not like I'm setting you up on a blind date or something."

"She's a celebrity, Y/N. I look like a whole ass mess and I bet she's going to look perfect."

"Well, if I know Elizabeth, she'll have her hair up in a messy bun and she'll be dressed in my clothes, so not perfect by any means."

"That's not a nice thing to say about your girlfriend." I heard a voice from behind me, smiling as I turned to see Elizabeth.

"You're perfect to me," I stood and tugged on the collar of her shirt to pull her down to kiss me. "But I was just trying to say you're normal."

"I know, lovebug. I'm just teasing you."

She turned to face Bailey who looked as if she was about to have a heart attack. She extended her hand to her and she took it slowly, barely shaking it back.

"I'm Elizabeth. You must be Bailey. I've heard so much about you."

"Same!" She squeaked, clearing her throat nervously. "It's nice to meet you."

Elizabeth laughed and I elbowed her gently.

"Be nice."

"I am nice," she smiled at Bailey before returning her attention to me. "You ready to go?"

I nodded and we said our goodbyes to Bailey, leaving the restaurant and heading for her car. I knew we had a busy day ahead of us but I couldn't stop thinking about what Bailey had told me. Kate sounded like she was damn near obsessed with us. Maybe it was for the best that she hadn't met Elizabeth yet.