Chapter 24

"When I sleep, I dream of you, and when I wake, I long to hold you in my arms.
If anything, our time apart has only made me more certain that I want to spend my nights by your side, and my days with your heart"
~Nicholas Sparks

____________
The Kings
____________

"Leave me alone, Alex." Xavier sighed from where he was lying on his bed, as he watched Alex barge into his room.

"We need to figure something out! Did you see them? They're practically best friends! We fucked up Xavier! We have to fix this!" Alex exclaimed.

"And what the fuck do you pose we do, hmm? Talk to her? Take her on a date? Corner her? She can't even be in the same room alone with us, Alex. There is nothing we can do. Might as well give up." Xavier shrugged casually, almost like he was completely unaffected by this.

Alex hated how nonchalant he was. Hated that the way he acted, it seemed like he couldn't care less about the fact that their mate practically hated them. Alex was about to start yelling at him when Xavier's phone dinged.

"Look," he sighed, looking down at his phone. "I've got something that I've got to do, okay? I'll see you later tomorrow morning." He grabbed his wallet and keys, but stopped in the doorway, looking back at Alex that stood numbly at the foot of his bed. "Don't tell Seb you know I left. I don't need him interrupting."

"Where are you going, Xavier?" Alex demanded, confused and suspicious as he watched Xavier walk away.

"None of your business." He called.

Alex chased after him, hoping that his brother wasn't about to make the biggest mistake of his life.

"Don't do this, Xavier!" He yelled from the top of the stairs, watching Xavier open the front door.

"It's none of your business, Alex!"

"There's no coming back from this! If you cross this line, you'll never be able to uncross it!"

"It doesn't fucking matter, Alex!" He snapped. "There was no hope for me anyway! Might as well crush whatever little hope I do have!"

Thankfully the guards had taken to the grounds to train, so none of them had to hear the childish squabbles of brothers or the mentioned infidelity of a King to his Queen. It was an inexcusable act. An act punishable by death.

Alex, though he struggled for centuries over the fact he couldn't find his mate, he always retained hope that she would appear at some point. He never gave up that hope, but after the first few centuries of not finding her, he knew that he would find her anytime soon. So, he tried to live his life as best as he could. He traveled, had lovers, ate good food, did anything a single male would do. Knowing once he found his mate, he would give up everything for her and hoping she would forgive him.

Sebastian and Xavier were different. Alex knew this. They both gave up hope after centuries of looking. Sebastian resigned himself to his place in Germany, hoping to die alone, and untouched. Xavier did the opposite. He filled his days with different women and men and anything in-between. That's how both of them coped with the "loss" of their mate.

He thought, that maybe when she arrived, she could fix things. But so far, things have only gotten worse.

Goddess, everything is in shambles.

The front door slamming shut shook Alex out of his daze. He ran down the stairs, hoping to catch Xavier before he peeled out of the driveway, but he wasn't in time. He watched Xavier peel out of the driveway, leaving skid-marks in his wake.