Chapter 1

"I don't think they realize how sleepless nights can affect you
Or how overthinking slowly kills you
I don't think they know
How it can turn your mind into thoughts you wish weren't yours"
~WTM

—————————
Hanna
—————————

I listened to the pitter patter of rain on the roof as the wind howled along with it. I used the soothing sounds to try and drown out my thoughts and try to sleep. I rolled onto my right side and buried my head in my pillow, trying to fall asleep.

It has been three nights since I've fallen asleep. My troubled thoughts kept me restless, a tidal wave of thoughts came crashing down on me. The overthinking, the vicious nightmares, the haunting dreams...all played apart in my sleepless nights.

Seconds ticked into minutes then minutes ticked into an hour and I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep...again. I gave up on trying. I sat up and flung the blankets off of my body and slid out of bed. I walked over to the window and stared out at the storm.

Lightning lit up the sky and thunder crashed and boomed. I lost myself in the storm. There was something about the chaos that brought me comfort. Knowing that even the sky needed to scream soothed my soul and shut my brain up.

I stayed at window the rest of the night. My eyes closed, my body was relaxed. This was the closest thing I could get to sleep without actually sleeping. At some point during the night the rain turned into a slight drizzle. The wind calmed down a little. Thunder no longer raged. Lightning didn't light up the sky. The storm had passed.

I let out a disappointed sigh and turned away from the window. I slipped off the edge and went over to my bedside table. Picking up my phone I noted the time. Four in the morning. Two hours before my alarm was set to go off.

I didn't like straying to far from my schedule, so I decided to read a book till my alarm awoke the entire house. I scanned my bookshelves and eyed Kingdom Of Ash by Sarah J. Mass. I plucked it off the shelf, sat in one of my chairs, and got to reading.

Exactly at six in the morning, the sound of my incessant alarm pulled me away from my book. I groaned but closed my book. I left it on the chair and went over to my alarm to shut it off. I stretched out my body, hearing a few pops then entered my bathroom when my body felt nice and stretched out.

I shucked off my pajamas and turned the shower on. I waited a few moments for it to heat up before slipping in. As soon as the scalding water hit me, my stiff and taunt muscles relaxed slightly. My eyelids got a bit heavy and I started blinking to try to keep myself awake. But the only thing I felt like doing was curling up in the bottom of the shower and sleeping for a million years.

Though my hopes and dreams were ruined when the water started to get cold. I finished washing my hair and body, turned the water off, and hopped out.

The bathroom was hot and humid. I could feel my skin start to get clammy. I wrapped a towel around my body and twisted one up in my hair. I wiped down the mirror and noted the dark circles under my eyes. They would need to be covered up with some concealer. I turned away and went to my bedroom to find some clothes.

I got into my undergarments and slipped into a pair of black skinny jeans, I wore a black shirt with a yellow bat symbol on it and got a pair of socks on. I took the towel out of my hair and brushed the platinum locks out. I grabbed a hair tie and put it up in a ponytail. Grabbing the concealer I put a dab under my eyes and rubbed it in. I already looked less tired. If only there was a way to conceal how red my eyes were.