The Triwizard Tournament

A/N Check out Cedric (behind Filch) in this image from the GoF film as Harry faces the dragon! He can barely watch!

Ron felt a complete and utter plonker as they cheered Cedric Diggory through the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. He felt thoroughly ashamed as he clutched one of Malfoy's badges in his pocket, the ones that read 'Potter Stinks: Cedric is our True Champion', the pin biting into his palm in self-punishment.

The moment of clarity had hit before long before Cedric was called to the arena; it had hit when he watched his brother Charlie and five of his colleagues carefully coax a Swedish Short-Snort Dragon into the empty quarry and clamp the chain from around its enormous neck to the manacle ring as they avoided some dangerous looking talons. The dragon handlers were all dressed top to toe in dragon hide. He somehow doubted any of the Champions would be so well equipped.

The whole school had already been ushered down a hidden enclosure on the edge of the Forbidden Forest, their path clearly marked and stands built around the edges of quarry far below them. Ron sat in the section with Justin Finch-Fletchley and Anthony Goldstein absorbing the air of excitement, anticipation, and nervousness as everyone waited to find out what the first task was.

In the depths of the quarry was what looked like a giant nest containing a golden egg. It was clear the Champions had to retrieve the egg. Finch-Fletchley wasn't slow to point out the great manacle ring that was attached to a huge rock, still empty as they waited for the first announcement of what was happening.

He had gulped when the dragon settled on a nest of eggs, defensively spreading her wings and glaring at all and sundry to dare come near her. He was terrified for his bestfriend and felt ashamed about his lack of support.

He'd looked wistfully across the stands at Hermione in her seat with Neville, Dean, Seamus, Fred, and George. A sharp slice of pain edged through his chest, particularly when he looked at Hermione who occasional shot dagger-eyes in his direction. He wasn't welcome but he understood he deserved it for all the bloody crap he'd put Harry through these last few months; for all his claims that Harry sneaked his name in the Goblet of Fire and didn't share it with Ron just because he was seeking glory for himself again.

He cheered Cedric Diggory, of course he did, he was sitting with the Hufflepuffs. He also cheered Fleur, and then Krum. They were all bloody heroes.

He gulped again as he watched Charlie and his team, ten of them this time, fight a monstrous Hungarian Horntail dragon into the arena. Ten of them, it took. The dragon was clearly already angry. Maybe it was permanently angry but the defence spells of the team moving it didn't seem to be helping its mood. Either way, he was glad he wasn't in Harry's shoes. The Chinese Fireball appeared positively bloody docile compared to this ferocious black lizard. It certainly looked the worse pick of the four options, especially as extra Wards were clearly being set up around the spectators.

Ron wondered how the Champion's lots had been drawn.

He watched Harry emerge from the champions tent, clearly pale and dazed. He wasn't sure if it was anxiety or if Harry was overwhelmed by the sight that greeted him. He knew if it were him in Harry's place then he'd be quaking in his boots from every negative emotion under the sun and, for the first time since Harry's name was thrown out of the Goblet of Fire, Ron was glad he was not in Harry's place.

He looked across the arena at Professor McGonagall and saw open fear on her face. Her lips were thin and her face pale and it looked like Professor Dumbledore was keeping her upright.

He felt the tug of remorse caused by his own envy that had made him turn away from Harry and not believe his pleas that he hadn't put his own name in the cup and that he didn't want to be a Champion; that he'd been set up. Ron knew he didn't want to believe it because he wanted a moment of glory. He'd said he wanted to share it with Harry but he knew that wasn't true. It was almost as if he had something to prove to everyone or anyone, he didn't know who, he just needed to be seen as someone too, as worthy too. Maybe it was all those older brothers who'd all achieved so much. And now, being friends with Harry, well, he always felt in the shadows even though he knew Harry never saw Ron like that.