Godric Gryffindor

'Ancestry' had become the byword of the day and when Harry eventually sat down to have a cup of coffee and quiet word with Dumbledore's portrait, the old Headmaster admitted that Minnie was far more clued up on the discipline than he was.

'She has, right from the start, my dear boy, had a far better understanding of these things than I. I'm afraid I rather tended to dismiss it as a field of magic, it has always been so poorly researched with little evidence of the theories. But Minerva was adamant that your shared ancestry would be strong enough to protect the Blood Bond your mother made to protect you. Yes, I rather believe it is Minerva you should be talking to about this, though I would be most interested to hear the results of your research.'

Harry nodded.

'By the way, young man,' Dumbledore said, a mischievous twinkle appearing in his blue eyes. 'A pair of socks, dirty, I believe, has recently appeared on the mantlepiece over there. I don't think any of your diligent House-Elves have realised yet.'

Dumbledore smiled knowingly as he pointed towards the hall's huge stone fireplace.

Harry flushed profusely, not that Dumbledore should have any clue why Harry's socks should suddenly reappear a day after Harry had vanished them when he was slightly distracted by Draco. He retrieved them and thrust them deep into his pocket. A mystery for another day.

He decided that perhaps it was a good time to start tackling the portraits.

Harry and Teddy spent several hours scouring rooms, rooting out all the portraits that they could find with Harry steering Teddy well away from the south wing and the bust of Henry Potter. The search grew to include the help of Ammy and Ruby and each portrait was carefully stacked against the walls of the gallery, which had been cleaned in preparation. Of course, once a couple of portraits caught on with what was happening, a general excitement grew amongst them and searches began until each and every painting was unearthed from around the Hall and there was a great chattering amongst them all as if they had all woken up after centuries of sleeping. Harry took it upon himself to start hanging the portraits with the help of Ossy, Teddy, Ammy, and Hercules. Well, Hercules was mostly just getting underfoot and distracting Teddy, but Teddy was particularly vocally regarding where certain pictures should be hung so he could see them. Mostly because he liked the look of particular occupants or how they were painted. His favourite image was a great bold man in silver armour with flaming red hair and a huge bushy beard that reached his chest. He leant on his sword in triumph and, as Harry studied the picture, a horrible dawning occurred.

'You're Godric Gryffindor,' he said, somewhat in awe.

'Yes, young man, an honour to meet you,' the great man boomed back. 'And who might this be.'

'Edward Lyall Lupin, sir,' Teddy said, puffing his chest out. Teddy had found a stool and heaved it up to the gallery so he could inspect the portraits and chat to them a little easier.

'Ah! An incorrigible young man of great tenacity,' exclaimed Godric.

Teddy puffed his chest out further, even though he had absolutely no idea of the meaning of incorrigible or tenacity.

Harry smiled. 'I didn't realise we were related,' he said.

'We are not related by blood, though you might think so seeing as your family seat centres on Godric's Hollow. But I see you have much to learn, young man.'

Harry was confused. 'But why do I have your portrait?'

Godric continued, 'I believe it might be wise, as this juncture, to request the presence of Ms Granger, Ms Parkinson, Professor McGonagall, Mrs Tonks, and Mrs Malfoy. We need a collection of intelligent brains at this point. I am not dismissing your mind, Mr Potter, but these women have a particular clarity and aptitude for what we are about to discuss, whereas you and I are men of a similar mould-men of action and great deeds,' he said proudly. 'Perhaps, young Master Lupin, you might oblige an ancient man and go and fetch them for me.'