Gaining Approval

Harry wasn't sure why he was now avoiding going to Beaumont Hall when he knew, in his heart, the place had been calling to him ever since the war, particularly as the call was impossibly strong for the past year. He found another excuse the following weekend because he desperately needed to dedicate the weekend to Teddy because work and his long hours had been taking over.

He took both Teddy and Draco to see Minnie.

'Granny Minnie!' Teddy shouted as she hauled him up onto her hip.

'I'm too old for this,' she muttered. 'Harry, darling... Mr Malfoy...' She kissed Harry on both cheeks before shaking Draco's hand.

'Mum, I think you can call him "Draco" these days.'

'If you insist.'

Draco was fairly certain her lips were pursed in disapproval. It was his first social call with their former professor and he felt surprisingly nervous. Harry had always taken the responsibility of taking or collecting Teddy from Minerva's and, so far, Draco had managed to avoid his weekend trips. He still felt rather intimidated by the woman.

Lunch was pleasant enough, though Draco felt like he was being constantly scrutinised.

Once they finished, they talked about the case with Finch-Fletchley, but only once Teddy had left the table.

'He was a funny sort of boastful boy at school,' she said quietly. 'Reeked of privilege...' she muttered without looking at Draco.

He sighed, 'I suppose I did too...' he felt Harry's leg touch against his comfortingly under the table. He was unsure if Harry was in one of his touchy-feely moods or whether he simply knew that Draco needed the reassurance.

Minerva studied him for a long time. 'Yes,' she said, not beating around the bush. 'But your case was rather different. More your father, than you.'

Draco swallowed heavily. 'I...' he didn't really know what to say.

'Draco,' she said pointedly. 'I came to know that you were much more than your father. I knew full-well about the fake Cruciatus, long before you and Neville Longbottom accosted each other in a dark corridor late one night. The Carrows may have fools but I certainly am not! And I certainly wouldn't have spoken for you at your trial if I didn't believe in you.'

'No,' he said, his eyes wide as he looked at her.

'I also knew that you spent a lot of time with Hagrid and then cared for his animals long after he had to leave us temporarily. Hagrid still speaks highly of you and that man does not choose his friends lightly. That speaks volumes...'

He felt embarrassed, not sure where to take the conversation. He was more than flattered that Hagrid spoke so highly of him, it was just he felt a 'but' coming on. Like he'd never be enough...

'I understand the pressures of belonging to one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight families, even if Elphin's family weren't followers of some of the more strigent traditions, he was still under considerable pressure. I will say this, I don't know if Albus did enough to help you; I doubt he did. I know you told the Wizengamot about having to take that journey to learn and I see that. As hard as it is, it is how we learn and if you hadn't, well, you wouldn't be the man you are now. The blessing is that you have learnt. It was clear back then and it is clear now, otherwise my son wouldn't have taken you in under his roof or have brought you here for lunch. You can only compare to Justin because of your backgrounds and that is a choice that neither of you had. It pays us no favours to prejudice about a child's upbringing or class because our society is naturally stratified. Silver spoon or no silver spoon, we should view all as equal. However, when you watch someone try to break the mould and right the wrongs, then they deserve the respect they earn. You earnt my respect in your final year at this school and you have done so ever since.'